12/16 Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Today's dive was at a site called "The Anchors". It is a WWII de-gaussing station that was sunk at some point after the war.

One of the anchors
F4.0, 1/80, Manual White Balance, Wide Angle Lens
1.jpg

Antler Coral & Hawaiian Damselfish on the sunken platform
F3.2, 1/80, Manual White Balance, Wide Angle Lens
2.jpg

Green Lionfish
No shortage of them at this site
F4.0 Macro Mode, 1/100, External Strobe
3.jpg

I'm always amazed on how your manual white balance pic turn out (I assume you used manual WB on pics 1 and 2). My last trip in the PI, I attempted to used manual WB but it always came out too dark. I figured it was due to the fact that every time I hit the water, the sun seemed to go bye-bye so that I was always diving in dark cloudy conditions. Could that be one of the reason? Thanks for the input.

midwestdvr:
I'm always amazed on how your manual white balance pic turn out (I assume you used manual WB on pics 1 and 2). My last trip in the PI, I attempted to used manual WB but it always came out too dark. I figured it was due to the fact that every time I hit the water, the sun seemed to go bye-bye so that I was always diving in dark cloudy conditions. Could that be one of the reason? Thanks for the input.

Did you post-process your dark pics in PS or another program? I have had some darker shots come out okay after processing them.

The amount of ambient light certainly is an important factor. Water clarity and depth are also major factors. These shots were at 60 feet and the sun was out. The water here is very clear most of the time. Today was no exception.
Note my F stop settings as they are fairly large lens openings and a fairly slow shutter speed of 1/80. I try not to use anything below 1/60 on a moving subject as it (they) will likely blur.
My camera goes to F2.8 at its widest lens opening and I have used it at times with a 1/60 shutter speed.
IMHO Depth+Water Clarity+Ambient Light is what it's all about for using manual white balance w/o a strobe.
I did post-process all the photos in PS7.

BTW, where did you go in the P.I.?
I am going to the Visayas in late January. If you were in Cebu, Bohol, Negros Oriental or Leyte perhaps you can share your dive site experiences with me and any recommendations

Thanks for the tip. No post processing but looking at the data on my pics, I think I need to fiddle with the settings a little bit also.

As for the PI trip, I went to Puerto Galera. Lots of macro, esp. nudis. If you want to know about Bohol, Cebu, and Negros, head over to the Philippine Paradise Divers forum in the Asia section. They'll be able to help you a lot over there, they sure helped me.

I love your pictures Gilligan. It's one of the main reasons I log on here daily.

To midwestdvr: Did you adjust your manual w/b while underwater? I do it every time my depth changes, light changes or I just haven't done it in a while. That way you get it rite while underwater. Getting a bit too dark pics is very good since you can post process some colors out of them. On the other hand if you burn your pictures there are no colors to post process. I've used manual w/b on nearly all my pics. I very seldom use flash since I only have internal. Looking to add a strobe someday though...

edit: Oh.. and Gilligan: Excellent shots as always! Love the lionfishes spines. You can really tell why it's called a lionfish.

Kapula, I recalibrate my WB right before I take a shot. I think it just not enough light and wrong settings for me. I could probably work with it using PS but I'm lazy when it comes to post processing.

Gilligan, love the details on the eye of the lionfish. Wish I could blow it up. I think there are more lionfish underneath that coral too.

Back
Top Bottom