12/14 Butterfly, The Wall, and Breakwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dove with mobeeno at Butterfly and The Wall.

Butterfly: 75ft depth, 0:42, 52F, 40ft vis

We went past the wash rock and took a 210 heading and swam for about 5-10 minutes. What I saw took me completely by surprise. Anyone ever been to Zion National Park? Or Yosemite? The very first time you saw it and the canyons just opened up before you?

Yeah.

That was my Butterfly experience. The canyons and pinnacles and sheer walls just opened up for me, dotted with beautiful thin kelp rising impossibly high through the water. Only I'm floating or flying in the middle of the canyon rather than on the ground.

Butterfly is now my favorite dive site, and I will be going back...

The Wall - 95ft depth, 0:40, 52F, 40-50ft vis

We parked close to the Bay School, the road right before the North Monastery Beach pullout. We hiked to one of the beaches out in the meadow at 36.527297, -121.925350 and took a 270 heading in which we hit the sheer vertical wall that drops down into the canyon. It was my first time at the vertical walls and it was spectacular. Mobeeno got dive bombed by a sea lion that came out of no where. Those things are fast! If a great white is just as fast as a sea lion... we then saw a group of 3 mola-molas, lots of rockfish schools, and lingzilla - a ling probably about 5-6ft long, just sitting there at 45ft. Lings would be so easy to catch for dinner.

After that I think we took a 180 heading and when we hit the sandy boundary of the kelp forest, took a 90 heading and hit a beach at 36.526543, -121.925068

Fantastic. Just wish the site was easier to hike to. I really need to simplify my gear setup. I feel really really clunky compared to Mobeeno, who can swim very fast and has such a simple-looking, streamlined gear setup. Care to share your gear loadout?

Breakwater: 43ft, 1:06, 53F, 20-30ft vis

Night dive using a Predator 220. Not happy with it as a primary light - beam is too narrow and not bright enough for me. My P valve worked! In one spot I saw an 8" shrimp! Not the little red 1" ones, but a huge gray one. Then a 4" octopus came out and I thought it was going to attack the shrimp, but I guess it was just attracted to my light. Then I saw a white spotted porostome nudibranch on the rocks, and a very confused sole in the rocks, which I figure should have been in the sand. Then a couple masked pricklebacks and cabezon.

I think the key to seeing things is to just stay in one spot and chill. Things will slowly pop out of their hiding spaces, some may come up to you, and some things will simply be presented to yourself as your eyes and brain slowly filter out things that were previously camouflaged. That's what happened with the cabezon and sole - it took me a while to realize that I was looking in their general direction all along.

Fun dive report! The topography underwater in Monterey is breathtaking -- some of the dives I've done out of Whaler's Cove off Phil Sammet's boat, or off the Escapade, have been amazing. Soaring through huge canyons and along massive walls of color is just fantastic.

And I love your last paragraph. The more I dive, the slower I go, and the slower I WANT to go. We miss so much by rushing along, trying to see it all!

nice report fuzzy.....I'm almost tempted to try Breakwater at night again. Almost. But the Butterfly description was perfect. It is a marvel and a reminder I need to get back there.

Could your "8-inch grey shrimp" have been a lobster? There have
been intermittent reports of lobster at the breakwater.

Naw, I'm looking for those lobsters too, but this wasn't it. Seems like it was a Brown Shrimp - long and skinny like a shrimp, translucent gray shell.

From your coordinates, it looks as if you could have avoided a long hike if you went to N. Monastery. Is that correct or were you near the larger beach a bit farther to the north off of Ribera Rd/Cuesta Way?

My read of their numbers is that they were at the very southern end
of the next beach north of Monastery and used the back door to
Monastery. More walking, less swimming.

There's another entry about 2/3 of the way to where they got in,
on flat days only.

Walk or swim, take your choice.

My read of their numbers is that they were at the very southern end
of the next beach north of Monastery and used the back door to
Monastery. More walking, less swimming.

There's another entry about 2/3 of the way to where they got in,
on flat days only.

Walk or swim, take your choice.

Correct. It's the shortest swim to the wall.

Thought so. I would prefer the longer swim but that's just me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom