12/09 Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Today's photos were taken with the internal strobe as the batteries in my Inon strobe died right after I descended. One of the downsides to the Inon strobe is that you have to remove the dark film strip from the camera's flash so you can use the internal strobe. That requires an ascent to my kayak, opening the housing to get the film strip off the camera, and another descent.
I'm now experimenting to determine if I have a battery problem or a charger problem.

Leaf Scorpionfish
1.jpg

Leaf Scorpionfish
2.jpg

Green Lionfish
3.jpg

Great pics as always, Gilligan. I've had my batteries die on my inon strobe as well while underwater (totally my fault) and wished that I could use my internal flash without having to remove that film. Keep up the great work.

midwestdvr:
Great pics as always, Gilligan. I've had my batteries die on my inon strobe as well while underwater (totally my fault) and wished that I could use my internal flash without having to remove that film. Keep up the great work.

Great pics, Jim! Those leafeys are not the easiest to spot, good eye.

Why is that red scorpionfish called a green scorpionfish ??

As for the strobes, are you guys using TTL ? Is that why you have to crack open the housing to remove the film strip ? I have had the same issue but I am using a slave with fiberoptic cable and all I have to do is peel back the velcro so the internal flash is exposed and I'm good to go.

calypsonick:
Great pics, Jim! Those leafeys are not the easiest to spot, good eye.

Why is that red scorpionfish called a green scorpionfish ??

As for the strobes, are you guys using TTL ? Is that why you have to crack open the housing to remove the film strip ? I have had the same issue but I am using a slave with fiberoptic cable and all I have to do is peel back the velcro so the internal flash is exposed and I'm good to go.

I haven't a clue why that Lionfish is called a Green Lionfish other than it does appear green in some photos. Perhaps it is the age of the critter that makes it green?

The Inon fiber optic kit for the Oly housing comes with a dark film adhesive patch that you place over the camera's flash. It subdues the flash, converts it to infrared and transmits it to the Inon strobe.

I haven't looked into it but I think you have to use the dark strip so as to convert the light to infrared or the strobe does not interpret the signal properly so as to be able to use the F stops on the strobe. I could be wrong about that. I never tried using the Inon w/o the dark film strip. I'm sure the cameras strobe would fire the Inon at least in full dump. Maybe I'll experiment and use a removable black patch on the housings exterior flash diffuser instead of the black adhesive patch on the camera.

I know the Sea & Sea uses a black velcro patch on the exterior.

Thanks for the pics Jim.

I really shouldn't open up Gilligans photos, I really shouldn't....

Back
Top Bottom