11-29 & 12/7 Monterey/Carmel pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
11-29 was a hideous dive day with lots of swell and lots of surge. The bottom was all swished up by several days of big seas, so the closer you got to the bottom, the less you saw. First dive was OK, with about 7-10 foot vis, but all clouded up with silt and all the critters were hiding in their cracks and holes. Second dive we dropped, couldn't see our outstretched hands with a dive light, laid a string to find the anchor and came up after 15 minutes of braille diving. Only highlight of the day was the surface green was blown away, so the thousands of Sea Nettles on the safety stop made great subjects. Here are a couple.

PB290007-01sm.jpg

PB290010-01sm.jpg

12-7 was flat enough to head for Carmel. Nice sunny day with decent diving. Vis was fair. Actually a bit better in Monterey than Carmel, which is quite unusual.
Dive 1 at Outer Butterfly House off Carmel by the Sea.
A Sponge
PC070004-01cropsm.jpg

Cadlina Leutea Marginata (Yellow margin nudibranch)
PC070007-01cropsm.jpg

Reef scene with Gopher Rockfish
PC070021-01sm.jpg

From Anchors 2 & 3 on the Shale beds
A couple of Peltodoris Nobilis
PC070031-01cropsm.jpg

A Copper Rockfish
PC070032-01sm.jpg

Island Kelpfish?
PC070036-01cropsm.jpg

Juvenile Rockfish
PC070043-01cropsm.jpg

PC070044-01cropsm.jpg

First Acanthodoris Rhodoceras I've ever seen (spotted by my permanent dive buddy and chief spotter, the fabulous Carol)
PC070052-01cropsm.jpg

Wonderful set Larry. I am really envious about the Acanthodoris rhodoceras. They have shown up in my photos accidently a few times but I have never knowingly seen one on the spot. I think that is an island kelpfish - coloration is a little different from others I have seen but the shape is right. Really nice job - love the jellyfish!!

The jellyfish makes the vis seem exceptional. If the wifey wasn't in the photo I would have said you were in the aquarium. Thanks for sharing.

Thnx for the pix

Thanks Ken, Peter, Andy and Deeper Thoughts

The jellyfish makes the vis seem exceptional. If the wifey wasn't in the photo I would have said you were in the aquarium. Thanks for sharing.

It was kind of amazing. The bottom was completely churned up from the surge. I think I took 3 pictures that day on the reef. At the top, the wind current just blew everything away and it was incredibly clear. It was really cool having all those jellies floating about. There was also a Mola dining on them that I couldn't get close enough to for a picture and a Sea Lion who came around several times but wouldn't get within shooting distance. Eventually the Sea Lion and the Mola got together to the regret of the Mola. We got to watch Mola frisbee on the surface as I pulled up the anchor and the birds feasted on the leftovers.

Wow, I gotta go out with you guys...That is when you finish laughing about my first boat dive adventure...I am realy impressed with photos.See Ya Out there soon.

Thanks Stan, I'm sure the next dive will be better. Just don't make any dents in the bottom on your way down.

Thanks Caloy. Actually, the Kelpfish was really cooperative. He really liked the spot he was on and only moved a few inches when I put my camera in his face (manual focus set for 2")

Back
Top Bottom