10bar G11 housing - strobe question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uriho

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
What strobe do you recommend for the G11 with the 10bar housing?
I've set my eye on Ikelite DS-161 strobe but I'm not sure what TTL capabilities it will have...

Any Ideas?

You won't get TTL from the 10Bar, manual only. You'd need the nikonos to Ike sync cord and only have manual control on the back of the strobe - not the best.

I would suggest the Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe that has optical sync with TTL.

Jack

Thanks a lot everybody!
Digifotoworld,
Which housing to you use, do you use TTL?
JackConnick
How much would I "miss" TTL?
How does Sea & Sea optical TTL works?

Thanks guys.

uriho,
when you have the 10Bar housuing already you have 2 solutions:
1. use a electrial cord and learn how to shoot in manual
2. use a optical tiggered slave strobe and shoot in s-ttl (Inon) or ds-ttl (S&S)

The G11 work perfectly with a INON D-2000 strobe in s-ttl mode giving you the possibility
to finetune the strobe output in 12 steps.

I recommend strongly to get a optical triggered strobe and not a electrical triggered,
especially as it will not provide ttl.

How important is ttl, well, first it depends on your photographic skills,
your knowledge about exposure and how you obtain a perfect exposed picture.
If you are handy with that you will have better results in all situations shooting manual rather than ttl because you
deceide the exposure.
TTL exposure regulates exposure for you based on parameters stored in the cameras computer.
This works mostly well on land, but under water and especially on WA photography it fails often as the variation in contrast and/or reflections (from silver fishes for example) are very high and this often fools the camera, resulting in burned out (overexposured) parts in the pictures.
TTl works well on macro where one object is filling the picture and so ttl is able to measure the right values for exposure.
Reef Photo has a article about the various modes Inon strobes offer and the basics are similar for S&S strobes as well.
Reef Photo & Video Support Center - KnowledgeBase - Selecting the proper settings for INON strobes

Chris

Chris pretty much answered it. I have an article comparing strobes here.

TTL is good for macro and close up, but it doesn't work well for blue water shots. If you're going to shoot manual, then at least get a strobe with fine control; 10-13 steps.

Jack

Thanks for all the tips guys.
I'll look into the YS-110a, it seems very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom