100ft/min accent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cnidae

Reaction score
Hello, I'm curious on how you feel about the 100ft/min accent rate from deep depths? Is this really saving us from ongassing that much more? Or is it doing more harm than good? Anyone got any info on the subject?

Thanks

cnidae once bubbled...
Hello, I'm curious on how you feel about the 100ft/min accent rate from deep depths? Is this really saving us from ongassing that much more? Or is it doing more harm than good? Anyone got any info on the subject?
Thanks
As a function of delta P/P per unit time, a 100fpm ascent rate at 100' is equivalent to a 25fpm ascent rate at the surface.
E. itajara

Ah, thank you. Do you happen to have the formula for that?

Read A. Marorni, et al. The Speed of Ascent Dilemma: "instant speed of ascent" or "time to surface" -- which one really matters?

You can get it from DAN.

This study was done by Dan-Uwatec Diving Safety Lab.

A crude summary is that instantaneous speed of ascent doesn't matter much, but total time to surface, and how much overpressure you generate in the leading tissues is what counts.

A cruder summary is that a high rate of ascent won't hurt you directly, but if you continue it until you are too shallow, then you are going to get bent.

----------

Other studies by same group found that there was no correlation between a diver having high levels of post-dive doppler bubbles and the fractional speed of ascent at any given time of the ascent. Those studies concluded that what you should do is to keep the computed values of PvenN2 (nitrogen venous partial pressure) less than 1100mbar; and the leading tissue group N2 pressure less than 80% of the Buehlmann M-values.

A crude translation of that gibberish is that deep stops work well, even if you move from depth up to your first deep stop rather rapidly.

100fpm is really moving, though, making it easy to overshoot when going, for example, from 130' up to a stop depth of 50 or 60'. Using a more reasonable 60fpm up to 100' wouldn't add much tissue loading, nor would 30fpm from 100' up to stop at 50'.

Clearly, these are just my thoughts, and you should do research on your own before trying out things.

Charlie

Hi,
I guess that a good speed is 60 fpm, so try to use always the same speed, if not, you can make a mistake trying to dive with one speed at xxx feet, and another speed at shallower water... think about it! Any way, pressure is an issue here, and the worst depth is from 30 feet to 0 feet, remember it!

Back
Top Bottom