100 HP or 130 HP for single diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own double 130's and also a single 130. I don't mind the single 130 at all, actually I prefer it if I have to dive singles. What exactly are you looking for?

40lbs sounds awfully small for a doubles wing for Monterey conditions.

FWIW, I have found a 40lbs wing adequate for all of my diving in Monterey (including 104s with multiple stage bottles).

One thing that helps is that as the dive gets deeper (and requires adding decompression or stage bottles), we add lots of helium, which helps bring the weight of the breathing gas down...

I dive double 100s in Puget Sound with a 40 lb wing. It's fine. It would get dicey with a stage.

I'd say double the 100s and buy a 130. We have two 130s, and we fight over them. The cool thing about a 130 is that you have basically the same amount of gas in double 72s, but in a lighter package. I can tote a 130 down and back up a hill; we own no set of doubles as easy to haul on land. Which is not to say that a 130 is a light burden!

I think it's always good to have the option of diving a single tank. Sometimes the entry/exit considerations argue against doubles. Sometimes you'd like to dive with a newer diver and not intimidate them, or have them look at you and decide that they can't ever dive like that, since you're obviously a "technical" diver because you're in doubles. Sometimes there isn't really good room on the boat. A 130 gives you the small footprint of a single tank, with almost the gas of a set of doubles. I like them.

Doubles 100s are extremely useful tanks, both for long or deep recreational dives, or to have excellent gas reserves for T1 level dives.

Lynn,

Thank you so much for your reply. You have helped me make up my mind and I will double up my 100's that I own, and purchase a set of 130's for diving singles with my friends.

I always end up just below everyone else that dives the 100hp, and I dive with the ladies and they always kick my butt... :D

Now with my secret weapon the soon to be 130, I will challange my lady friends again to a dive and come up with either equal or more gas than them... :eyebrow:

I just won't tell them I have the 130, Lynn shhh!, don't tell Kathy so she'll think my sac rate has improved...

In all seriousness thanks for your post, it truly made this easy. I have so far for doubles, a wing, manifold, tanks. I need the band, regs, and set of new hoses for doubles.

I always liked the 130 for it's extra gas, but used the 100's for it's simplicity in shore diving only thing is I hated to end the dive because my gas was getting low. I will now enjoy my single diving just a bit more. :wink:

Mike

Last edited:
TS&M beat me to the punch. I, too, dive double 100s with a 40lbs evolve wing (in BC waters). It is even doable with a single stage (an 80), but I wouldn't exactly recommend it.

I'm 5'6 on a good day and these tanks are very comfortable for me. I've tried double 130s before and I can barely move in them as they are both heavy and big. I do not feel safe carrying them nor do they fit me in the water the way my 100s due and hence my decision was made.

Enjoy your new set-up and let us know how it goes!

Ness

I'm also using the same set up with HP100's.

Should I double up my 100's that I own, and purchase a pair of 130 HP for single diving?... So can anyone chime in that owns the 130's. I really don't see them that much here in MoCal very rare, we see the 100's a lot and many dive doubles.
TS&M:
I'd say double the 100s and buy a 130. I think it's always good to have the option of diving a single tank. Doubles 100s are extremely useful tanks
I will echo the sentiment. While I cannot comment on the best equipment for the MoCal environment, I do own double 100s and 130s, that I use both as a manifolded doubles set and as singles tanks. Double 100s are a great set of backmount tanks. Enough air for extended recreational, and moderate decompression, dives. I also dive double 130s (and 120s), and I much prefer the 100s for backmount doubles. The 100s have great trim and balance, and are not too heavy. The 130s are a massive set, and take some getting used to, even with an AL BP. For single tank dives, a HP130 is my favorite tank, at least for ocean dives (AL80s are fine for pool and quarry). And, BTW, the other advantage of having some single 130s is that they can potentially be used as sidemount doubles as well.

Keith,

I have the 40 lb Evolve wing from Halcyon, it's dry and hasn't been dove. I got it for only $100 dollars when they had the double down promotion.

I really value the info I get on this thread because of the variety of DIR divers all over the states and not just confined to our local waters.

So with that wing selection I made, I know I will be doubling up my 100's. It's just a matter of seeing if I can handle the 130 on my back. I would really like that extra gas on some of my deeper dives.

MG

Your entries and profiles are unique to California. I would look at and listen to your local buddies moreso than someone living far away. I, for instance, have no clue what the optimal tank for Lobos might be.

for singles
Single 95s/Hp100s are very popular up here probably moreso than hp130s. 130s end up being overkill because people typically get cold here before they need all that gas. Being warmer with potentially lots of shallow time, SoCal divers are really milking hp130s to maximize BT.

for doubles
Hp100s or lp85s win hands down as your first set of doubles. Only a select few people should be looking at alternatives and that's mostly because they have the rare physique that can't trim out hp100s/lp85s.

Keith,

I have the 40 lb Evolve wing from Halcyon, it's dry and hasn't been dove. I got it for only $100 dollars when they had the double down promotion.

40lbs sounds awfully small for a doubles wing for Monterey conditions.

I used to dive double HP100's with an Evolve 40 and it was fine. Wasn't till I wanted bigger tanks, deco bottles and a scooter that I decided I needed a bigger wing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I used to dive double HP100's with an Evolve 40 and it was fine. Wasn't till I wanted bigger tanks, deco bottles and a scooter that I decided I needed a bigger wing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When I was doing the math for wing size I was planning for those items also (plus I'm a big guy, much bigger then Mike G)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom