10 years old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jed+4

Contributor
Reaction score
My son turns 10 in May 28 is that oldenough to start diving and take the class:confused:

Yes, but it depends. At 10 years old your son can get a Jr. OW certification which allows him to dive to a maximum of 40' with a certified parent or an instructor/ DM. However, a lot also depends on the child. My oldest son turns 10 in March and we are planning a trip in April for him to get his Jr. OW cert. My other son is not as mature and will probably have to wait until he is at least 11.

My son turns 10 in May 28 is that oldenough to start diving and take the class:confused:

My answer would be that it just depends. Some kids are born water rats and are very comfortable in the water. I would only do this with a kid who really wants to dive and a kid that has enough maturity and intelligence to listen to instruction. Probably not a good idea to try to "talk someone into diving" but if it's the kid's idea, why not? Diving is a good, healthy activity and could be a framework for a young person in a world full of otherwise worthless pursuits. I have a 6 year old grand daughter in mask, snorkel, and fins and I hope to dive with her one day.

Technically yes, he will be. However there is some information out there about the physiological effects of pressure and breathing compressed gasses under pressure and children. Here is a link that sums them up pretty good:

Children and Diving

I won't say it ok or not, that is your call. Just make it an informed decision...

As others on the board have said...it depends.

My older daughter was certified when she was 11 and she did wonderfully. in fact, she got compliments from several of her instructors (she did pool work at one location, OW at another, so had a couple of different instructors). That being said, she was very mature for her age, was able to listen well in class, have a long enough attention span to not get distracted during the teaching portion, etc. There were a couple of teens in her class that were getting their OW for a vacation and the instructor couldn't keep their attention for 5 minutes. They almost didn't pass because they continually showed up late for class, didn't pay attention, had a hard time with the skills, etc.

My other daughter turns 11 next week. She is asking to get certified...and we are still talking about it. At 10 she was not mature enough...now...maybe. She did discover scuba a couple of weeks ago and loved it.

Both my children are very comfortable in water...having been on swim team for many years and in the pool every day it is warm enough. I've no doubt about their swimming ability. My concern with my younger daughter is her ability to understand what she is being taught in class and applying it to her diving (i.e. buoyancy control, understanding tables, timing her dives, etc.).

I guess the long and short of it is, only you can know if your child is ready.

Good luck.

John

my daughters, 10,11 and 15 are all certified.

The way I see it, if they can pass the test on their own. With no coaching during the test, then they can hack it.

We made dinner time with the family into question and answer/ study time. Lets us gauge how much they are a grasping and retaining and what parts they have a problem with.

We booked our trip last night! woo hoo.. should be a good vaca! Cozumel and the whole fam is diving.. good stuff.

I had my girls 11 and 16 do a Discover Scuba a couple of times to see if they really liked it and were able to follow directions....

The short answer is yes.

It depends on the maturity level of the child. I'd be very hesitant to take most 10 year old kids I've met diving.

The age was 12 until very recently I believe. Honestly, I'm just not sure any 10 year old is really mature enough to handle the responsibility of something going wrong at depth. Heck, many adults don't handle issues at depth well! :shocked2:

Your child, so your call.

I went by the local dive shope and got a free tryal to see if he will like it and got one for the wife they both are wanting to do this I hope all works out:D

There is also Bubblemakers and Seal Team kids 8 and older can try out too. Just pool work at first, no open ocean....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom