10 and 11 Year Old Divers - Junior Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hypersonic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I will join her 11 yr old British grandson in Sharm el Shiekh (Egypt) this summer for a few days of diving. Curious as to how his safe profile would match an adult safe profile in terms of nitrogen loading, she posed the question to PADI.

She received an excellent response that deserves sharing:

We appreciate your desire for additional information. I know this is more information than you requested, but I wanted to provide you with some additional information regarding the concerns with very young divers.

The issue of children diving has been explored and debated for quite some time. We researched this issue prior to adjusting the minimum age requirement for our programs. The doctors at Divers Alert Network (DAN) located at the Duke University Medical Center have reported that diving has much less of an impact on children physiologically than most of the recreational activities that they regularly participate in. Activities such as skateboarding, inline skating, skiing, bicycling, soccer, baseball and even running and jumping can have a much harder impact on a child's physical growth and development.

Speculation and controversy have surrounded the discussion of the medical implications of allowing children to dive. Although DAN has not yet released a public statement with regard to children and diving, DAN has gathered information on the subject as well as have other physicians who are versed in diving medical issues, such as Dr. Simon Mitchell, who has consulted with PADI on the issue and authored an article on the subject in the 4th Quarter 1999 Undersea Journal. After a review of the medical literature on children and diving, DAN concluded, "there is insufficient experience to make any evidence-based judgement".

Children are pre-screened for diving fitness (under parental supervision) via a diving specific medical screen, and are required to be evaluated by a physician if anything on the screening form is answered in the affirmative.

Here are the medical issues that have been addressed regarding children and diving.

Regarding growing bone development: The long bones grow from their ends at the epiphysis. This growth process continues until about age 20. In the past there has been heated debate about the effects of pressure on the epiphysis, and its potential to stunt growth or cause necrosis. However, there are: 1) Currently no relevant data from testing (animal or human). 2) Data from clinical reports in cases of decompression sickness in those aged 15-20 have not shown damage to the epiphysis. 3) Exposures would have to be extreme; such as commercial tunnel divers might experience when under significant pressure, which is well outside the scope of recreational diving. 4) The depth and decompression stress limitations of junior divers adds an extra measure of prevention. 5) If this were really an issue, it would apply to any diver younger than 20. Dr. Mitchell pointed this out in his article "I believe there is insufficient evidence to support this theory. If this (bone growth) were really an issue, it would have to apply to any diver who is younger than 20."

While the debate may continue, the reality of a few decades of hundreds of thousands of dives performed by junior divers create a valid empirical database of positive experience and simply does not support the hypothetical argument. Again, we chose to restrict the depth in the PADI program specifically to minimize decompression stress thus avoiding the hypothetical argument altogether.

Regarding Decompression Sickness (the bends) we think a fundamental point is missing here. PADI does not espouse 10-11 year-olds diving deep. In fact, PADI standards clearly restrict it. Ten and eleven year-olds are limited to 40 feet. With this limited exposure, the risk is less than minimal. We do not support dives conducted beyond 40 feet for 10 and 11 year-old divers.

Regarding pulmonary development, information from DAN and others indicate that there may be some final formative growth until about age 8. This is the reason we settled on age 10 as a minimum age for a restricted certification, and a reason the World Underwater Federation (CMAS) has set their minimum age for scuba certification at 8 for years.

Ears- Eustachian tube dysfunction is common in early childhood, so ear baratrauma susceptibility is greater for children under age 12 (when most children have achieved adult-level Eustachian tubes). It is important to make certain the child can equalize properly in confined water before taking them on open water dives.

We believe that getting kids interested in recreational diving to a huge extent takes them out of harm's way in a broad context providing a healthy, active, rewarding recreation. It provides a focus that sets the stage for a healthy lifestyle and away from drugs and other destructive pathways. It also is a means to bond families together with a common interest. Turing to the world outside of diving, every day thousands of children enrolled by their parents happily engage in soccer, football, basketball, field hockey, skiing, gymnastics, skateboarding, bicycling, snowboarding, volleyball, wrestling, baseball, martial arts and other contact adventure sports and recreations. The incidence of morbidity and mortality in these activities is significant. For example, in the U.S. alone, each year emergency rooms treat more than 775,000 children under the age of 15 for contact sports injuries. Trauma involving spinal/cervical injuries, fractures and the like occur with frequency. The risk/consequence/severity of such activities is clear. In comparison, scuba diving, a noncontact, nonimpact 'soft' activity under closely controlled conditions requiring strict supervision, limited depth and instruction seems somewhat benign. That said, we make it clear that scuba is a reasonably safe activity with manageable risks, but that it definitely does involve risk. The major potentially catastrophic risks for children include drowning, arterial gas embolism, water aspiration and ear injury. These need to be avoided through proper training, supervision and other precautions.

Certainly not every 10 or 12 or even 18 year old is mature enough to dive. Parents and scuba instructors must use prudent judgment determining the student diver's ability to grasp and master skills and knowledge required for scuba diving. PADI has clear restrictions in place for teaching children to scuba dive, including limitations on their diving certification. Since the inception of the junior diver certification, divers under the age of 15 have always been required to dive under the direct supervision of a certified adult. Furthermore, they're restricted to a depth of no greater than 18 metres/60 feet. Under the new PADI standards, children under 12 are subjected to even greater restrictions. First, they're limited to diving to no greater than 12 metres/40 feet. This depth ensures that these younger kids are subjected to only minimal decompression stress, thereby addressing concerns raised over the unknown, and possibly increased, risk of bends.

The second restriction is equally important, and deals with the issue of supervision. While any certified adult diver might accompany junior divers between 12 and 15, that's not the case with those under the age of 12. These youngest of the junior divers are required to dive with either a certified dive professional (divemaster or instructor) or certified parent/guardian. No others, regardless of their diving experience and training, qualify as supervisors. These limitations are even printed on their certification card.

Scuba diving can and should be an activity that family members can share and enjoy together. In this day and age activities that family members can actually do together seem very limited. As the father of a 13 year-old son and 11 year-old daughter I appreciate the time we share in the underwater world together. I doubt my future ability to participate in many of the physical activities that my children will undertake, however diving will certainly be one to bond us together as a family.

Thanks again for your inquiry. If you have any additional questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at 949-858-7234 ext. 2336, 800-729-7234 ext. 2336, or by email to leroy.wickham@padi.com.

Sincerely,

LeRoy Wickham
Educational Consultant
Training and Quality Management

Thanks for posting that hypersonic.

Judgment is the key - on behalf of both the instructors and parents - and diving parents can get quite upset if you refuse to teach their child!

I personally do not always enjoy working with kids - mostly because I have very little personal experience with them - none of my own and no small people in the family at this time. However, I was diving with a 12 year old last week who could dive the socks off of much older and more experienced divers.

They need to have a certain maturity in their mental attitude but one of the great things about teaching kids is that they are often utterly fearless. It took me two whole days to get one mature student to be able to remove her mask underwater. Most kids will do it without thinking about it. And there is the downside - kids will very frequently do things without thinking at all - hence the depth restrictions to minimise risk of physical injury. As the above post suggests, there is no evidence that diving causes physical or physiological problems for children. Bone defects *can* occur from regular nitrogen absorption but to my knowledge, this is mostly restricted to full saturation divers (people who live in a chamber underwater whilst they're welding oil rigs or whatever) - something kids are not going to be doing, obviously, and requires regular immersion to depth - also something kids are unlikely to be doing.

Super-supervison and expert judgement is required. If you want your kids to dive - and I have nothing against that whatsoever - make sure they are ready, enthusiastic, and choose an experienced instructor. Children soak up knowledge and are often far more excitied about diving than their parents - and that's where the so-called "vanity" cards play a big part - could be a lot of kudos in the school playground! :)

Safe diving folks,

C.

hypersonic - i'm am up for adoption, should you need another grandchild to take on another trip.

One of my best time is diving with family. The younger still 9, so her max. depth is 2 m only. The other beauty of diving in my region - not expensive to have own DM/instructor. So far she has logged approx. 50 ocean bubble makers. He sister 13 years old - is my best buddy has great passion in uw photography.
Check the link on my signatures to know much how they enjoy diving.

Don't over think it. I love diving with kids, the excitment on their faces is worth so much. You just have to pay attention and don't dive the sites that allow them to go to deep.

We all (parents and grandparents) have precious little time to spend with our kids/grandskid before they grow up and out. Savor every minute.

Teaching and diving with kids is one of my greatest joys.

Kids are generally fearless, don't have the pent up anxieties adults have and pretty much do whatever you tell them to do without much of a problem.

As divers, most of them can swim circles around their adult counterparts.

Many times, I've stated the biggest issue for children in diving is being placed in a bad situation by their adult diving buddies. In other words, no parent or adult should dive alone (one-on-one) with a child. Should the adult be the one to become disabled in the water, there is no fair expectation that can be placed on a 10, 11 or 12 year old child to efficiently rescue the adult. Furthermore, an incident where the adult is seriously injured or dies would leave an undeserved lifetime scar on the child - including the possibility they would forever live blaming themselves for the parents death.

Other than this concern, children from ages 10-12 do wonderfully. Children in their teens 13-15 usually do very well... and typically are mature enough (mentally and physically) to assist in adult rescue.

To all the young divers out there - I congratulate you and hope to see you out there someday... and to the adults sitting on the fence about letting their children get certified... I say you must judge your childs mental and physical capacity and seek guidance from an Instructor who works regularly with kids. These instructors can help you make the right choice at the right time for your child.

My Wife, and two Boys (14 & 12) got certified with me My Family dives togther and it is alot of fun. Like stated above Kids have no fear of it and they are not afraid to tell you if they are not comfortable doing a dive & Etc.. I would reccomend diving for Kids they love it!

Greetings hypersonic and welcome to SB! Great thread and thanks so much for sharing the information. That is just one reason SB is so awesome!
I started both my kids snorkeling first and spent time letting them adjust to water conditions / gear. It has been pretty time consuming at times but some of the greatest moments I have shared with them yet! My daughter is looking forward to her OW certification this summer. When she obtains this my goal is to get her on 25 dives this season. I am a DMC currently and assist in training divers so I have lots of diving opportunities. My son is just 10 and I am going to purchase his academic materials and spend the summer and fall going through them with him. I want to make very sure he understands the material. I spent a significant amount of time with my daughter before her exam reviewing and studying. I was shocked and amazed by the level of understanding coming from a 12 year old. It became very obvious that she know the material and was personally motivated to be a diver!
Diving has been the single best family time adventure I have yet to under take.
Kids bring such wonderment and excitement to the table. I transform into a 40 year old kid every time I get into the water with them. Our snorkeling adventures have been in local lakes and quarries, they have never once complained about the water temperatures. I usually have to make them get out to warm up or beg them to get out so I can warm up. No joke they are tough as nails!
Kids are the future of diving we need to take the time to involve them now. The potential for diving that they will be exposed to in a life time is amazing.
Who knows what the next 20 years of diving evolution will bring? They will be there to experience it and go for it! If I can sit with grandkids while they are diving I will be one happy old diver! No one said I couldn't dive while they are on their SI! Ha! Ha! No better life for me, I hope to dive till I'm ready for the dirt nap!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

As others as said, thanks for posting------(as I've stated on this site before) in 1985, our 14 YO daughter got certified with my wife & I then within 5 years our other 2(boys) @ age 12 each were certified--all 3 diving to 90'+(the 1st one in Belize the latter 2 in Grand Cayman) within weeks of their certifications......All 3 are alive & well & kicking & to this day enjoy diving---the middle one, a diving instructor with well over 5k dives- most deep dives off Roatan(he moved there @ age 19 & left the island 3.5 years later with almost 3500 dives).....

Maybe I need to send in 'our' stats to PADI......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom