10/30 Dives near Pensacola, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meigs3

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went out on the H2O Below from a marina on Big Lagoon. He cruised over from Orange Beach to pick us up. Going out was pretty rough but waves layed down after lunch without too much roughness.

First dive was on a Liberty Ship hull with max depth of 82'. Temp at bottom was 71 degrees. Viz was about 4 feet with large particles floating around. Saw some nice red snapper.

Second dive was on the Russian Freighter. Max depth was 82'. Anchor was on ship rubble which I followed to the boilers. Viz was 10 to 15' with bottom temp of 73 degrees. A cow fish and pair of butterfly fish was the best to be seen. A couple of divers saw a dolphin swimming below. It was on surface later.

Down Under's boat isn't running due to captain being out after surgery. Not sure if any boats are running out of Pensacola.

Thanks for the report, sounds like Down Under can't get anything to go there way recently. Hurricane and hurricane and now they have a boat down? Yikes. Saw on their sign they are only open Wed thru Sat or something like that...

Thanks for the report. I made a quick trip to Pensacola last weekend and thought about doing a dive but really didn't have the time.

Just a couple of notes, the road to Fort Pickens is still closed as is the road between Pensacola Beach and Navarre. Part of Big Lagoon State Park and Gulf Islands National Sea Shore on Perdido Key are open but most of both parks are still closed.

I am, however, happy to report that you can still find plenty of good gumbo all over town. :07:

Luke

Little more to add to ScubaLuke's post.

I don't think they are going to rebuild the road to Fort Pickens, I hear they are looking for an alternative route to it possibly by ferry or a bridge from Pensacola Beach. Ivan took out all the dunes throughout the Ft Picken stretch so the road kept getting washed away everytime we had a tropical disturbance in the gulf.

You can still get to Navarre Beach, from Navarre, and they've opened up the Navarre fishing pier to divers as its now condemned to fisherman.

SuPrBuGmAn:
...I don't think they are going to rebuild the road to Fort Pickens, I hear they are looking for an alternative route to it possibly by ferry or a bridge from Pensacola Beach...
I'm afraid that's probably right. And if they do decide to rebuild it, it will probably take a while. I've heard the ferry idea too and that's probably a good temporary solution. And it'll work as a permanent solution if it ends up being too costly to build the road back.

I just found this article talking about some of the issues with rebuilding the road:
http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050814/NEWS01/508140338/1006

Luke

We would be glad to have any of yall come dive with us at Gary's Gulf Divers. We book the H2O Below Boat with Captain Bubba, also we will be getting a 28' Kevlacat that will take 6 Divers confortably by the Spring 06.
We do a lot of Diving at Perido Pass (Alabama Point) Day and Night, call me at 251.968.4279 if any of You are in the area and need to get a Dive in.

You guys planning on running throughout Winter? Chas doesn't like cold water - LOL!

algulfdiver:
We would be glad to have any of yall come dive with us at Gary's Gulf Divers. We book the H2O Below Boat with Captain Bubba, also we will be getting a 28' Kevlacat that will take 6 Divers confortably by the Spring 06.
We do a lot of Diving at Perido Pass (Alabama Point) Day and Night, call me at 251.968.4279 if any of You are in the area and need to get a Dive in.
Thanks for the info Gary. I've heard good things about Captain Bubba.
Luke

We go out any time we get 4 divers that will go. Also do a lot of night dives in the winter because the high tide usually runs at night this tome of year.

Back
Top Bottom