1 week spare time in West Papua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thesyntax

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

We are going on a LOB for 11 days in West Papua from Sorong to Kaimana in March. As we got 3 weeks holiday, we don't know yet what to do with the remaining 6 days?
It doesn't need to be diving, because I reckon 33 dives is enough in 11 days. But maybe raja ampat is different. :)

Do you have any advice/tips what to do?
I was thinking of trekking in West Papua or flying to Ambon and see some historical highlights.
The return flight is via Jakarta.

Thanks a lot!

I would personally find 11 days in West Papua too much to be able to deal with another domestic flight in the far reaches of Indonesia.

If you ever want any downtown near Jakarta, I highly recommend Portibi dot com — a farm near Bogor, not too far from Jakarta. English is spoken, food is good, things are nice, hilly, idyllic with waterfalls and other small walks to make.

Hello!

We are going on a LOB for 11 days in West Papua from Sorong to Kaimana in March. As we got 3 weeks holiday, we don't know yet what to do with the remaining 6 days?
It doesn't need to be diving, because I reckon 33 dives is enough in 11 days. But maybe raja ampat is different. :)

Do you have any advice/tips what to do?
I was thinking of trekking in West Papua or flying to Ambon and see some historical highlights.
The return flight is via Jakarta.

Thanks a lot!

Well if it were me I would find another resort in RA at which to spend those 6 days. A friend of mine did a kayak trip in RA and loved it -- apparently it's a kayaking heaven. Trekking? Man, it's HOT in Indonesia!

- Bill

Ever since summiting Kilimanjaro, I'm always wanting to summit Puncak Jaya (Carstensz Pyramid), one of the world 7 summits. Check this out: Puncak Jaya - Wikipedia

You can see the equatorial snow cap peak from Google Earth. It's only 4900m high, 1000m lower than Kilimanjaro.

It's better to do it first & then go diving. That's what I did in Tanzania. I hiked up Kilimanjaro on week 1 & then dove in Pemba on week 2.

There's perhaps more to see and do in west Papua than first appears. Yes it's hot but it's supposed to be :wink:

I've read some interesting articles from people who have trekked up rivers to find birds, bird of paradise sightings are a tourism industry in their own right and I've seen some awesome skull cave pics.

Yes that snow covered mountain looks awesomely tempting too. The most I've ever done on land was a walk around a traditional village in Sorong but I wouldn't write the area off totally as just a Dive destination. I'd love to trek more and see some of the biogeography - kind of a big deal thanks to that Wallacea line.

That's too bad that you are flying through Jakarta. Depending on your exit dates, I was going to recommend coming to Bali for Galungan. It begins April 5th.

Galungan enlivens the whole island of Bali. It marks the beginning of the Pawukon year. Galungan celebrates the creation of the universe, the victory of the good, Dharma, against the evil, Adharma. It takes place in the familial temples where, according to the Balinese, the gods come down to earth and the ancestors’ souls pay a visit to their family.

It's a beautiful time to be on island, all the streets are decorated with Penjors and the Balinese are dressed for ceremonies and offerings.

Maybe this will help someone else planning their holiday around April 5th, it lasts for 10 days.

Thanks to everyone for their input!
We decided to fly to Yogyakarta for some culture and relaxation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom