1 Week dive trip accessible from Amsterdam and New York

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think your friend can get to Utila in less than 24hrs. You'll even find it difficult from NYC. We had a routing last year that started at 6AM in Newark, changed planes somewhere then onto an early afternoon arrival in San Pedro Sula. A puddlejumper from there would've put us on Utila about 4PM. For about $1200.

If you miss it, it's either overnight there or a bus to the coast for the morning ferry direct to Utila.

Or if you can get to Roatan by around noon, you can take the ferries(2) over and be there by 5PM. Utila airport is small, no terminal, no tower, no night flights.

Bonaire is probably slightly clearer but there's more variety on Utila. A couple of seamounts on the south side, some shallow shore dives off the AI Resorts (not in town afaik) and the north side has a deep drop with some good dives. We almost always saw something interesting, one of the seamounts (Black Hills) I filmed about 100 barracuda, 6-8 huge Oceanic Triggers and 1/2 dozen 3-4' Grouper - in 40+'. Plus all the usual fish and several turtles. All on the same dive. At another site - not great vis - we saw multiple seahorses, a red-lipped batfish and an electric/torpedo ray - no one wanted to try to get him out of the sand to find out which.

Of course the big draw will be the Whalesharks - you'd be there during the tail end of prime season. Several of the resorts - we stayed at Deep Blue Resort Utila - have programs optimized for spotting them during the peak season. It's snorkeling only though - we went looking for them daily after our AM dives. We saw 6 over two days then nothing all week as the weather/water was hot and calm - good for diving bad for spotting them.

All of the civilization is either in town or at the A/I's, there's nothing on the north side - not even a road. And the AI's are across a lagoon channel so town is accessible via their boat(s) only. Where we stayed - on the beach but in the rainforest with a mangrove lagoon behind us - there were a lot of bugs. I must've had over 100 bites on my arms/legs - forgot the Deet more than once. Our Whaleshark researcher went birdwatching one afternoon - she looked like she had a bad case of chickenpox all week after that.

Last edited:
Hey Keesmon

I might be able to organize something for you in Egypt that would be within your budget. For your friend in Amsterdam its not a problem, but for you it might be a little harder. I specialize in trips from North America to the Red Sea. Unless you both have to fly in together life can be easy because there are direct flights from NYC to Cairo and local flights are almost every hour. With your timeframe you can actually find flights within your budget and the diving there is cheaper than anywhere else. The big plus is that your in the Red Sea and I can't stop talking about the incredible diving there. Anyways tell me what you think!

P.S. You can see on my site one of the trips I am organizing in Feb for 2 weeks of diving and sightseeing to give you an idea. You can definitely get something within the $2,000 range with flights and a week of diving at that time of year.

Ahmed Nassrat
Owner/President
Atlantic Adventure Divers
Atlantic Adventure Divers - Atlantic Adventure Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom