1 day in Grand Cayman, what to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skip Hood

Reaction score
Hi folks -

Unfortunately, from a diver's perspective at least, my first visit to the Caymans will be as a cruise ship passenger. Meaning 1 day, 7 a.m. and 4 p.m., to try the diving. I'd really appeciate some recommendations on who to make the arrangements with. In particular, if available, a two-tank trip with a wall dive. Not interested in the stingray thing (plenty of those around here).

Thanks,

Skip

I wouldn't dismiss Stingray City so easily, Skip.

To put things in perspective, my Better Half has been to Cayman at least 7 times. Each time a visit to Cayman also meant a visit to Stingray City with students. Why, because the experience is so unique.

This year was my first time in Cayman. And I have to admit that I was a bit cynical about the whole prospect of "doing Stingray City". But after being there... yeah. I'd go again! :)

First of all, some of those rays are HUGE! I have several pictures that we took showing each of us with Southern Stingrays that have a wingspan of *at least* 5'! I can only recall seeing a ray that big on one occasion in the Family Islands. (We lived aboard a 43' sailboat for 2 years in the Bahamas. I can assure you we say LOTS of different rays.)

Secondly, where else do you get the opportunity to actually interact with what are essentially wild creatures in their own environment? These rays are not penned up. They come & go as they please; approach you or not... it's entirely up to them.

How close have you actually gotten to a ray? You can stroke them... ever done that? I've heard the feel of a ray described as "jello wrapped in velvet". I'd have to agree with that.

Feeding them is also interesting. How they locate & eat food. How unique their body is & how they use it... and how long those tails can be!

Just wanted to let you know that it wasn't all hype. Stingray City is an interesting experience. :)

~SubMariner~

SubMariner,

If you want to share those photos with the rest of us I can place the photos in a gallery for you if you'd like? If so, just let me know.

=-)

Didn't mean to be critical of Stingray City, Sub. My only intent in that comment - knowing Stingray City would be a popular option - was to steer the hoped-for recommendations toward wall dives. I expect Stingray City would indeed be fascinating. But we do see the occcasional giant stingray here in the Northern Gulf. Never tried to feed or interact with one, but you can touch them until they get annoyed and move off. A real, vertical reef on one side and a thousand feet of blue water on the other, sure-enough wall is something I've never seen. Just sounds so awesome I wanted to make it top priority for the little time I'll have.

Skip

One of these days, when I think I'm good enough to post some photos, I'll take you up on your kind offer, KN. Right now, "I am only an Egg". (Ok SF fans... name that book! <g>)

Of course the fact that they are slides & I'd have to get them scanned also puts a bit of a kink in the process. :wink:

The person you REALLY want to get post photos is Dee. Her stuff is GREAT!!!!

~SubMariner~

Back
Top Bottom