08 Sept - finally some dives! Ningaloo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I forced myself to put the 100mm on today instead of the 60mm. All I can say is you have to be SOOOOO far away from the subject LOL. Getting close does not seem to be one of my problems most dives! I set out to get some cleaning action and think I might have gotten some OK ones...

Here's what I usually ended up with though - no matter how far away I'd be, the fish would move in closer :11: Oh how I longed for the 60 :wink: It's a tough, tough life:

need60cleaner.jpg

alcina:
I forced myself to put the 100mm on today instead of the 60mm. All I can say is you have to be SOOOOO far away from the subject LOL. Getting close does not seem to be one of my problems most dives! I set out to get some cleaning action and think I might have gotten some OK ones...

Here's what I usually ended up with though - no matter how far away I'd be, the fish would move in closer :11: Oh how I longed for the 60 :wink: It's a tough, tough life:

need60cleaner.jpg
you miss the sharpness? What was the cam settings for that shot, Alcina...:)

? Now you've gone and confused me! I don't know what you're talking about the sharpness? Both the 100mm and 60mm are admirable in their abilities. Help a poor blonde out :)

I'm whining about being so close to the cleaning action (which is why I took the 100 instead of the 60 - so I wouldn't interfere and spook the cleaning action) that I couldn't get the whole fish...or even the whole fish head & at times not even the whole cleaner :D Of course, I could have backed away more and more and more (for some reason my port was mighty attractive today) but the golden rule is "water in front of the lens is bad - get closer!"

This shot would have been so much nicer with more fish in it instead of cut off like he is - and the 60mm would have been perfect.

More coming...

settings (ymWv) - ISO 100; f10; 1/100

Wow.. I wish I had your problem.. those shots are sweet!

alcina:
no matter how far away I'd be, the fish would move in closer :11:

Yeah... that's a rough problem to have :wink:

Nice shots!

I like the composition, and how you can see through the gills.

alcina:

In this case the 105mm maybe the better choice, because if you had used the 60mm to get even closer the lighting from the strobe will have to come in at a more extreme angle. The gills and the mouth area may not have been properly lit and getting too close may have spooked these two. Good work!

http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=17137;start=0

Great shots Alcina :), love seeing them for a second time :wink:.
Beautiful detail and lighting, postively drooling over here.

What kind of fish is that?? I presume a grouper of some sort?

EDIT - I prefer the second since the mouth isn't cut off although there is less detail in the gills.
I do like that you can see 'through' it's mouth to the other side.
Lol

Alcina, you may what to add these two pictures to you "sticky" guide section. They are fine examples of shooting close up U/W and the pros and cons in using the 60mm vs. the 105mm.

The first picuture has more detail than the second (since you were shooting closer, notice teeth and eyes), but the second picture has better lighting inside the mouth area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom