Question Fin Color and Stiffness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
The Cosmicist

The Cosmicist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've heard some people say this, but I'm curious if it's actually true. Does the color of a fin affect its stiffness? I'm specifically thinking about Jet style fins, so Jets and OMS Slipstreams, etc. I've heard that colors other than black are less stiff due to the dye. Is this actually true? What about other Jet/paddle-style fins?

Solution
If there is any difference in stiffness due to coloring agents it is too small to be significant. Divers don't need to adjust anything when switching between black and some other color Jets. If you prefer Jets for their stiffness and/or weight, they will be just as stiff and/or heavy to suit your needs regardless of their color.
This is the best flipper I'v
more options image White
e ever swum, ......and iza swum 'em all

Thanks everyone. My takeaway is that it doesn't matter, or if there is a difference it's negligible.

Monoprene and polymer fins the color is not a concern. Rubber fins like the Jets the color can affect the stiffness and in practical use it is not a concern.

James

Not sure about all fins, but for the hand-cast Polyurethane systems we have used for over 40 years, the pigment is essential. The natural color of Urethane is amber, a color like an IPA beer. Pigment or dye (tan Delta) is an additive, and a stabilizer is also needed to maintain color integrity over time. This adds to cost but also dilutes the polyurethane. Is it enough to affect performance? Out of the box, not likely, but black is the best over time. It is carbon-based and outlives other pigments.

A much bigger question is how different materials out of which fins are made perform for you. I selected the Skateboarding Polyurethane systems in the early 1970s. The rebound of our Force Fins is like no other. A simple way to test the performance of your fin is our snap test. Thrust is provided by the fin vs. you, which increases efficiency and per kick forward momentum. It's the SNAP - Force Fin

Back
Top Bottom