Question Fin Color and Stiffness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
The Cosmicist

The Cosmicist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've heard some people say this, but I'm curious if it's actually true. Does the color of a fin affect its stiffness? I'm specifically thinking about Jet style fins, so Jets and OMS Slipstreams, etc. I've heard that colors other than black are less stiff due to the dye. Is this actually true? What about other Jet/paddle-style fins?

Solution
If there is any difference in stiffness due to coloring agents it is too small to be significant. Divers don't need to adjust anything when switching between black and some other color Jets. If you prefer Jets for their stiffness and/or weight, they will be just as stiff and/or heavy to suit your needs regardless of their color.
Ok, thanks. I'm looking for new fins and I think black can get boring very quickly... But I also don't want floppy fins...

Colouring compounds should not normally change the properties of the material used - at least the manufacturers would ensure that a fins design retain its consistency across colors for a given model.

You also don't want the fence planks nailed to your feet feel either
Yeah, lumber is expensive! I just have the image in my head now of someone trying to helicopter turn with 2x4s strapped to their feet. Haha

Colouring compounds should not normally change the properties of the material used - at least the manufacturers would ensure that a fins design retain its consistency across colors for a given model.
Well, that’s what I would think. But I’ve come across the statement several times that black Jet fins, for instance, are stiffer than the colored ones. I haven’t tried them all, but it definitely seems suspect.

I have a lot of jets and I don’t think you could ever tell which you have on based on the color, I have red which I use most of the time, cammo which don’t use as much and several old black. They all perform perfectly and after years of looking for something better I’m back to jets for everything except warm water. My buddy loved his F1’s until he tried jets.

If there is any difference in stiffness due to coloring agents it is too small to be significant. Divers don't need to adjust anything when switching between black and some other color Jets. If you prefer Jets for their stiffness and/or weight, they will be just as stiff and/or heavy to suit your needs regardless of their color.

Solution
Not when it comes to rubber.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom