Simple questions on tank age...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Externet

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, good day !
You bought a new 80 cuft. aluminium tank in March-2004.
You used it a dozen dives that season and got its parking spot in your closet.
You had it out-of-the-closet, hydro tested in Oct-2007.
It got an approval stamp 10-07 and a decal for good visual.
After that, went again unused to your closet; since then not used by anyone, untouched, unwet, collecting dust, filled.

1 - You own a compressor. Would you use it refilled as it was just tested/inspected yesterday ?

Or would you go trough the inspection again ?

Similar question:
2 - Your new never-used 80 cuft. aluminium tank factory stamped 03-2004 has resided in your closet for 17 years untouched, never filled, never wet, valve closed.
Would you hydro-test/inspect before using it for first time in 2022 ?

No

I would at least do a vis and rebuild the valve with the fresh lube and orings if you had air or 32 on it. If it has trimix I would check the o2 and he content and compare with the label to make sure the gas is ok then dive it and then vis and rebuild the valve.

even if you have your own compressor, the hydro makes sense as it gives you the confidence the tank has no issues as a pressure vessel and the cost works out to only a few bucks per year.

I agree it should be opened up and visually inspected. If all looks good carry on. As it is the cycles on the cylinder that age it, I would have no problems filling it myself and diving it myself.

Correct answer is no, get it tested and VIP,

Myself, would have a look inside and check it out, if I like what I see, then i would use it...

Unless I really needed to dive the tank immediately, I'd have it hydroed. I'm not a stickler for a hydro being on time, if the tank looks good in and out, 3 hydros are a lot to skip, and that would bother me.

I check (and hydro) my own tanks since having hydros/VIPs officially done on my 53 tanks+ 10 storage bottles would be more expensive than I want to spend. There are other things I'd prefer to waste my money on.

Michael

Hydro yes for peace of mind.
Also, that O ring will likely leak. That's plenty of time to take a set and be less effective. I have seen a tank that sat for some time that the Oring extruded out and tank vented like the burst disc blew out.

I have seen a tank that sat for some time that the Oring extruded out and tank vented like the burst disc blew out.
You have a picture?
I assume you are talking about the tank to valve oring.... ?
I don't see how the oring can extrude past the valve flange,
Unless it's the wrong valve or loose, or other damage,
A slow leak I can see,(oring cracked)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom