How to get trained for factory-authorized servicing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What you are inventing is the mandate that someone be a retail worker before they can take the reg class.
They only have to be employed...not in any special position.
They can even be hired as a reg tech, and spend time learning while waiting for their cert class.
Dive shops… Scubapro dealers are retail stores. You have to work for one in order to take their technical seminar. You could be in management. That’s all I’m saying, I’m not inventing anything it’s just the truth.

I'm super picky about who touches my gear and want to know for certain that the work is done correctly. I might service dive buddies' stuff, but don't have an interest in making a career out of it and won't be opening up a retail location and selling new gear.

@scuba_jamie With the above in mind, I recommend you see this thread, but as others have noted, forget about servicing anyone else's gear:
Regulator Service Technician Training - Unrestricted

And if you service stuff for friends, be prepared to be sued for everything you have if something goes wrong and you don't have liability insurance. You'll also void any warranties they may have. So if you screw something up, have funds ready to buy them new regs.
Even the brands that do allow you to be trained only certify you to work on gear you personally own. Unless you work for a dealer.
If you signed up for a class with me and I found out you planned to work on a friend's gear, the class would be cancelled and you'd get your deposit back.
What Jim said, if you plan to service your friends stuff be prepared to get a good insurance policy which will cover your lawsuit expences.

I once wanted to make a good present to my buddy and built him an SP 156 second stage out of different parts which we new for the most part, gold plated orifice, new satin case, etc. The agreement was made with him that he takes it into a shop to check it before he dives it. And he did the tech we know really well did not even charge anything to check it as we are frequent customers. The tech found all as per the spec and said go ahead :) That was as far as I went in my life with fixing my friends stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom