needing conscious, deep inhale ~2 days after diving marathons - concerns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alex_can_dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
It's been warm the last 5 days so I'd been diving two to three tanks every day for 5 days (60-70 feet max). Took a break a whole day yesterday. And now I feel more fatigue than before. Specifically, occasionally I feel like I need to make conscious effort to do deep inhale. Also feel a bit of "phantom" pressure on my back and right below my collar bones (imagine having two planks pressing on your chest and your back at the same time) Also feel like someone's throttling my throat sometimes (the same feeling when I wear the diving hood)
(It's not consistent ... if I move around or do stuff, then I dont feel it, but if I don't do anything then I start to notice it) Is this real or just my body remembering the pressure during those dives?

Is this cause for concern? Do I need to go see a doctor?

Is your dive count correct? Diving involves a lot of heavy gear hailing, using muscles you might not usually use, etc. 2-3 dives a day for 5 days is a TON of diving if you’re not used to it.

Can’t address the neck thing, but the fatigue, definitely from all the diving.

Is your dive count correct?
Not anymore :D I'm now at 36 dives! :yeahbaby: (clocked in 13 dives in those 5 days)

Diving involves a lot of heavy gear hailing, using muscles you might not usually use, etc. 2-3 dives a day for 5 days is a TON of diving if you’re not used to it.

Can’t address the neck thing, but the fatigue, definitely from all the diving.

What about the pressure (I think) I feel on my chest/back right now?

. . . imagine having two planks pressing on your chest and your back at the same time . . . . Is this cause for concern? Do I need to go see a doctor?

That doesn't sound like a common effect from diving. I'd see a doctor.

It's been warm the last 5 days so I'd been diving two to three tanks every day for 5 days (60-70 feet max). Took a break a whole day yesterday. And now I feel more fatigue than before. Specifically, occasionally I feel like I need to make conscious effort to do deep inhale. Also feel a bit of "phantom" pressure on my back and right below my collar bones (imagine having two planks pressing on your chest and your back at the same time) Also feel like someone's throttling my throat sometimes (the same feeling when I wear the diving hood)
(It's not consistent ... if I move around or do stuff, then I dont feel it, but if I don't do anything then I start to notice it) Is this real or just my body remembering the pressure during those dives?

Is this cause for concern? Do I need to go see a doctor?

Hi Alex, yes, I think this is concerning enough that you should be seen. It could be a lot of things depending on your age and underlying health conditions, including something diving-related. Are you in Massachusetts right now? If so, then the Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary has an emergency department and also has a hyperbaric unit with physicians who are trained and experienced in examining divers. I strongly recommend that you not dive again until you get to the bottom of this.

Best regards,
DDM

Hi Alex, yes, I think this is concerning enough that you should be seen. It could be a lot of things depending on your age and underlying health conditions, including something diving-related. Are you in Massachusetts right now? If so, then the Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary has an emergency department and also has a hyperbaric unit with physicians who are trained and experienced in examining divers. I strongly recommend that you not dive again until you get to the bottom of this.

Best regards,
DDM

Yes, i'm in MA, age 26 with no underlying issues.
Do I need my primary doctor to refer me to this or just call them?

Thank you!

Even if they accept you without a referral, your insurance might not cover it unless your primary doc sends you there. So be sure to check your policy.

Thank you!
Depends on your insurance. If any doubt, I'd call your doctor and read him or her the response from Duke Dive Medicine. I can't imagine there would be a problem with a referral.

If your doctor wants more info on DDM, see Duke Dive Medicine

Thank you!

How are the symptoms today (Sunday)? If they're unchanged, I would say go to urgent care. They can at least do a chest xray and ECG there.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom