Cant find a mask that fits!!! What about a FFM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seville

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been through 8 masks. I even have some that fit well and suction where they stay on for awhile while trying it on. The issue I am having, is I had two nose surgery's (for medical not cosmetic reasons). the bottom of septum is lower than my nostrils. No matter how I clear a mask, I always have a little water that is in my nose and it drives me crazy.

What do you guys think about a FFM, I was looking at either the ocean reef or the ots. The diving I do is mainly shore diving where I have my mask off, kick out for about 20 mins, then dawn my mask and descend. What are you thoughts on a FFM to make diving more comfortable?

At this point I really don't know how much I want dive because it is so uncomfortable with water getting up my nose. Do you think a FMM could help my issue?

If you go FFM, make sure to also get the associated training. FFMs change a few things, like how you would handle an OOA situation, or switch regulators. If you ditch the FFM to use your octo or another diver's reg, suddenly you have no mask on.

You could also visit more dive-shops and try more masks. Each dive-shop may carry different masks.

After being unable to find a properly fitting mask for the longest time, I just found one that fit me perfectly the other day (Sherwood Ceto). I don't know if it was bad luck that I couldn't find one before, but I tried on literally every mask in 3 dive shops in one week, probably to the annoyance of the workers.

We dive FFM's for team work. They are big, they are bulky, they aren't as efficient on air, you need to dive with a back up mask, they are expensive, hanging out on the surface talking to friends is not as easy, they are buoyant, they are harder to clear with the valsalva technique, and out of air situations are further complicated, but....that being said...they don't fog, water in your nose won't ever be a problem unless it floods(mine never has) you can have coms to talk to your buddy, and you can breathe through your nose if you choose.

I think you would be better off getting used to water in your nose if possible, it's just a downside of SCUBA, maybe a mask with a purge valve so you just blow out though your nose to clear it, but there is no reason not to try a FFM. Ocean Reef will frequently set up try dives with their dive shops to jump in a pool and kick around a bit and see if you like them.

I really thought I would like mine more....

Good luck, give one a try...that money isn't going to spend itself!
Jay

No matter how I clear a mask, I always have a little water that is in my nose and it drives me crazy.

Have you considered seeking out a someone to share their mask sealing and clearing techniques with you. I hear that botox immobilises the face and an immobile face is what is needed to maintain a mask seal, which is immediately compromised when you smile when you are underwater, smiling at all the things there are underwater to smile at

Which kind of dirty mask is usually preferred? The ocean reef, or the OIC?

I say try one!

With a surface breathing valve you can just about gently swim out with the mask in place and not use any backgas in non choppy water. Not as good as snorkling because you'll probably have to swim on your back, so you'll need to keep stopping to look where you are going, but certainly possible.

If i'm not using the coms in my Aga, i can't say the air consumption is really any worse (deffinately is when talking) compared to a half mask. I certainly like the comfort, security and field of vision, and the lack of jaw fatigue, which for me in cold water seems to onset quite suddenly and suprisingly soon (perhaps i'm biting too hard on the reg?)

if you do decide to get one, definately do the training, which is useful as just a refresher, and make sure you consider your whole kit and see if anything has to change with (and your buddies) due to the FFM (like air share protocols etc)

Have you considered seeking out a someone to share their mask sealing and clearing techniques with you. I hear that botox immobilises the face and an immobile face is what is needed to maintain a mask seal, which is immediately compromised when you smile when you are underwater, smiling at all the things there are underwater to smile at

That and how tight is your mask OP? If you’re over-tightening your mask, that could be a contributor to your mask seal issues.

I had an Ocean Reef we used for inspection work. I found it very claustrophobic at the surface and the straps are much more cumbersome than a regular mask. I also found that air consumption was about 40% higher because it was positive pressure, not demand. I have yet to find a mask where I don't have a little water in my nose but it really only bothers me in cold water. Everyone is going to have a different story, so you really need to try one for yourself.

I had an Ocean Reef we used for inspection work. I found it very claustrophobic at the surface and the straps are much more cumbersome than a regular mask. I also found that air consumption was about 40% higher because it was positive pressure, not demand. I have yet to find a mask where I don't have a little water in my nose but it really only bothers me in cold water. Everyone is going to have a different story, so you really need to try one for yourself.

The Ocean reef masks should be on demand... 40% increase makes sense if you try it, but with some experience you should get back -or at least very close- to your normal air consumption.

I did my instructor course for the ocean reef IDMs, but never really liked it. Really hoping i would, but normal mask and reg are just so much more comfortable. It just feels very gimmicky

Maybe some lap swimming with fins, swim goggles, and a swim snorkel can help you with getting over this discomfort, if the issue is more the sensation of water in the nose as opposed to a mask leak from poor fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom