100' vs 130'??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why didn't you quote the entire statement? Here it is in full:
We were most excited for healthy coral reefs, the Picasso-like mandarin fish and blue-ringed octopi – but the crowning glory of this place are the ethereal thresher sharks that grace Monad Shoal in the early mornings. Ideally, our participants needed at least 30 logged dives with deep (30 meters) and night diving experience. But for the ones who didn't, Evolution helped organize extra training for deep and night diving so that they didn't miss out!
Here is what you wrote earlier:
Some liveaboard operations even require at least x (30, 50) dives below 30 meters to do rec deep dives.​

The review you cite does not remotely refer to a requirement of "at least x (30, 50) dives below 30 meters to do rec deep dives." Not even close. It says that "ideally" divers should have "30 logged dives" (which is barely anything) and an unspecified amount of experience going to 30m, not 50 dives below 30m. That quote could be accurately rewritten as "Ideally, you should have at least 30 logged dives with some night dives and some dives to 30m, but if you don't, no worries--they'll make sure you get the training you need for that." I see that as inviting pretty much anyone with any experience to do the trip.

EDIT: After writing this, I realized your problem with it might be related to English not being your primary language. You might have understood the phrase "at least 30 logged dives with deep (30 meters) and night diving experience" as requiring 30 deep dives, but that is not what it means. It means that ideally you should have 30 total dives, and those 30 dives should include some night and deep dives.
Whatever. The point was to discuss that some operators have their own rules and there is nothing we can do about it but comply.

Your insurance may have an issue should you have a diving accident and have been deeper than your certification recommends. This is not an issue with DAN insurance, however.
Depends a lot on your insurance. My travel insurance covers me for any incident as long as the dive was planned and conducted (accident issues notwithstanding) to less than 40m/130' depth. No matter my certification.

That said, IME there's a pretty big difference between 30m/100' and 40m/130'. More than 18/20m (60'/67') vs 30m (100'). Not only nark becomes a lot more noticeable in that range, but also gas density issues and min gas.

SSI & PADI are limited to 30m, CMAS & I believe NAUI (not sure about the last) 40m.
CMAS isn't one certification. There are national flavors. My 3* cert is good to 40m, in other countries I'd be allowed to go to 57 or even 60. Similarly, our 2* certs are good to 30m, in other countries they'd be good to 40.

The useless lump of Suunto crap beeps incessantly. It's ignored
Try wearing a 7 mil hood. You won't hear a thing, no matter how much your Suunto beeps. A 10 mil is even better.

CMAS isn't one certification. There are national flavors. My 3* cert is good to 40m, in other countries I'd be allowed to go to 57 or even 60. Similarly, our 2* certs are good to 30m, in other countries they'd be good to 40.

That's correct, its a Country specific certification, in the case of the Hellenic Federation, its 40m.
I am also a 3* Diver by the way.

Edit: as previously discussed and in order to avoid more misunderstandings, the depth limits are not mandatory nor restricting, your certification level to a specific depth only verifies that you've been trained to dive safely at those limits. You can go as deep as you wish at your own risk obviously.

You can go as deep as you wish at your own risk obviously.
...as long as your diving officer/dive leader is good with that.

If I'm serving as the DL of the day, I'd be rather reluctant to sign off a dive noticeably deeper than what your cert tells me you're good with. Unless I know you better than normal.

When you're on your own, you do whatever you want. If it's on my watch, I'd like to have a say.

<<You can go as deep as you wish at your own risk obviously.>> Agree with your general sentiment but people should recognize that the risk is typically more than just you.

The immediate effect is to you but could also be to others that feel obligated to risk themselves rescuing you, if on the off chance something does happen to you, besides other people's trips you screw up by the trip ending to take you to the chamber/hospital/whatever.

That's not so likely by going to 130 instead of 100 but that idea can get extended to something more risky like a bounce "just to say we did it" dive, so it's good to point out no matter where you go, it's usually not just you.

<<You can go as deep as you wish at your own risk obviously.>> Agree with your general sentiment but people should recognize that the risk is typically more than just you.

The immediate effect is to you but could also be to others that feel obligated to risk themselves rescuing you, if on the off chance something does happen to you, besides other people's trips you screw up by the trip ending to take you to the chamber/hospital/whatever.

That's not so likely by going to 130 instead of 100 but that idea can get extended to something more risky like a bounce "just to say we did it" dive, so it's good to point out no matter where you go, it's usually not just you.

I believe there's no need to over complicate things. You can obviously discuss about even further ramifications your wrong decisions can create in case of a fatal accident, what about the impact a fatality can have to your friends and family? I believe we are going of topic :)

...as long as your diving officer/dive leader is good with that.

If I'm serving as the DL of the day, I'd be rather reluctant to sign off a dive noticeably deeper than what your cert tells me you're good with. Unless I know you better than normal.

When you're on your own, you do whatever you want. If it's on my watch, I'd like to have a say.

I totally agree. Unfortunately, people paying for a service more often tan not follow their own rules. Just have a quick look on YouTube and we can discuss it further. in addition and as I wrote in a previous post, many Dive Centers see folks as cashing sheep and they just care about making a quick revenue. I've experienced this personally multiple times and especially in more exotic destinations.

A couple of thoughts came up for me when reading your post. I would invite you to ask yourself some more fundamental questions:
1) is my ego driving my desire to dive deeper as if I am going to earn some merit badge and/or respect or bragging rights in the diving community?
2) Am I totally comfortable and competent diving within my current diving comfort zone. Am I totally proficient in my skills, like attaining and maintaining neutral buoyancy, having competency in using my equipment, like lights, reels, lift bag and safety sausage?
3) Can I dive comfortably, without a computer, relying only on a pressure gauge, depth gauge, watch, and knowledge of my SAC rate?

There are essentially two ways to become proficient at diving deep: One is experience where you dont die and two, you get trained. A diving instructor to guide you is not just a teacher but a defacto dive buddy. Why would you dive deep as a relatively new diver alone? The atmospheric pressure change/gradient between 100 and 130 and every 30 subsequent feet compound DRAMICALLY and significantly impact decompression obligation.

Please don't read into my reply that I'm judging you or even discouraging you. Many of us, including me, have been exactly where you are and asked the same question(s). All any of us have to offer you is essentially only our experience.
The main experience that most of us have that might be of ultimate value to you is this: we've all come back the same number of feet we went down, regardless of the depth. If you dive to 150 feet but only come up 149 feet it will make for a very bad day.
Make no mistake about it, the call of the deep is real! But that call doesn't guarantee a safe round trip. And you probably wont find that fact in any agency course brochure. What you'll hear is an emphasis on safety, safety, safety and on training, training, training. I've had several thousands of successful dives. And even now my primary dive buddy and I still practice sharing air exercises and equipment exchanges.
If you really want to know what the pucker factor diving deep is all about; take off your BC and tanks and push them through a hole in a cave or wreck and then put your gear back on knowing your going to repeat the process on the way out.
There is simple rule of thumb about diving deep. All dive problems solve easily on the surface and all dive problems are exacerbated exponentially the deeper you go. Be smart, when in doubt, get training and then apply that training as you get experience. And, don't skip those deco stops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom