Changes that Senior divers make?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can only speak for myself.
Everything is in downward spiral once passed 60!

At 72 I'm still in linear mode. My patterns have changed, of course, but I wake up afresh every morning and take life as it comes. Good health has a lot to do with it.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
-Dylan Thomas

At 72 I'm still in linear mode. My patterns have changed, of course, but I wake up afresh every morning and take life as it comes. Good health has a lot to do with it.
So you can give same performance as when you were 20 years ago. Good on you.
I can not run as fast or carry as much weight compare mere 10 yrs ago. The word "stamina" has lost its meaning to me.

Am honestly surprised that this isn't a normal feature on virtually all hard boats. I'm struggling to think of the last time I dived on a hard boat -- not a RIB -- that's not got a dive lift.

Wonder why this is the case? UK waters are 'lumpy', but then again so are the waters you dive in. Our kit is pretty much the same too.

Ah, British divers fussy so-and-sos. We only dive on boats with dive lifts and who must also serve hot tea. And there's plenty of space to spread out...

View attachment 670651

A lift would be great!

One time we took a liveaboard trip where the others divers were almost exclusively British. There was one Canadian woman and we were the only Americans but everybody else was British.

The Brits were nice folks but when the boat ran out of tea there was quite an uproar! The Captain managed to hook up with a fishing boat and borrow some tea and so mutiny was averted!

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a cup of hot tea myself - but not when I'm in the tropical heat - but the Brits had to have their cuppa! It was a good trip.

And none of that lemon nonsense. Proper milk. In a china cup.

My Grandmother came from Ireland and my Mother grew up to be an avid tea drinker. She absolutely had to have her tea in a china cup with milk. I remember one time someone offered her tea in a Styrofoam cup and she was very offended!

Am honestly surprised that this isn't a normal feature on virtually all hard boats. I'm struggling to think of the last time I dived on a hard boat -- not a RIB -- that's not got a dive lift.

Wonder why this is the case? UK waters are 'lumpy', but then again so are the waters you dive in. Our kit is pretty much the same too.
Some have said that the reason they are not in America has to do with regulations regarding the use of "elevators" on boats. Those regulations were evidently designed for the sort of elevators that get you to the different floors in a hotel and not a dive boat lift and have not been adjusted for such use. At least that is what some people have posted--I am certainly no expert on the topic.

They definitely need someone to operate the lift and need care that nobody is hanging on to the side of the lift. There's somewhat of a protocol for picking divers up, often with a rope over the side which you hang on to as "your buddy" is getting on the lift.

Can be hard to get onto in a lumpy sea, or if the wind's blowing the boat through the water. But then so can ladders.

@Wibble

Dive boat with a lift. I wish.

Ah, British divers fussy so-and-sos. We only dive on boats with dive lifts and who must also serve hot tea. And there's plenty of space to spread out...

View attachment 670651

Some have said that the reason they are not in America has to do with regulations regarding the use of "elevators" on boats. Those regulations were evidently designed for the sort of elevators that get you to the different floors in a hotel and not a dive boat lift and have not been adjusted for such use. At least that is what some people have posted--I am certainly no expert on the topic.

They definitely need someone to operate the lift and need care that nobody is hanging on to the side of the lift. There's somewhat of a protocol for picking divers up, often with a rope over the side which you hang on to as "your buddy" is getting on the lift.

Can be hard to get onto in a lumpy sea, or if the wind's blowing the boat through the water. But then so can ladders.

We did a few Liveaboard trips on the long defunct Nekton boats and I'm pretty sure that they had lifts at the stern, or am I remembering incorrectly?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom