Prehistorical human bones found in the cenotes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was awesome. Thank you for posting.

As I understand the article, there is an assumption that they only way a body could be that far into the cave would be that it got there before the cave flooded. That is not necessarily true. Artifacts have been discovered deep inside Mexican caves that were clearly put there after the cave was flooded. At first, this was a mystery, and then investigation solved that mystery. The artifacts entered from a very small opening in the cave ceiling, an opening that closed up over the centuries as tree roots, soil, leaves, etc. covered it over.

Artifacts have been discovered deep inside Mexican caves that were clearly put there after the cave was flooded. At first, this was a mystery, and then investigation solved that mystery. The artifacts entered from a very small opening in the cave ceiling, an opening that closed up over the centuries as tree roots, soil, leaves, etc. covered it over.

That could be. A human body could have been also intentionally dropped in the cave from a hole in the cave ceiling that was blocked afterwards, like in a sort of ceremonial burial. Still, I believe that it's more likely the person accidentally died in the cave when it was not flooded yet. Otherwise the way they found the bones arranged would probably be different

how would you explain the pottery in Casa Cenote? Or was in Dos Ojos? or maybe carwash. whatever. you know what I'm talking about.

how would you explain the pottery in Casa Cenote? Or was in Dos Ojos? or maybe carwash. whatever. you know what I'm talking about.

There are artifacts and proof of life in the cenotes while they weren't flooded all over the place.

Personally I've seen in Carwash the Chamber of the Ancients, where there is an prehistoric fire pit. In Regina I was shown another firepit but this time a more traditional campfire style with animal bone around it.

Though I don't discount that some of the bones we find may be burials after they were flooded as that was a tradition in the region. And having the cave in get covered up is a legitimate theory. But I let the scientists fight that out, as that can be fun to watch. Particularly when they start using their pens as stabbing weapons.

When the caves were dry in the last ice age, the rain filtered and dragged minerals, forming stalactites, stalagmites, and columns. The growth of these formations stops when the cave is flooded by an increase in sea level in an interglacial period.
GEOLOGY OF CENOTES - Squalo Divers Scuba Diving Cancun

It seems the cenotes were dry during the ice age, when the level of the seas was much lower than now. During that age humans lived inside the caves

Cool but it's not a first.
One of my buddies was in National Geographic magazine some 30 years ago with a skeleton in a cenote with pottery and the skeleton was far enough back he had to have walked in......hmmmm

Cool but it's not a first.
One of my buddies was in National Geographic magazine some 30 years ago with a skeleton in a cenote with pottery and the skeleton was far enough back he had to have walked in......hmmmm
46 years ago. Just sayin’ :wink: Cichen Itza by mule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom