Mixing Organization Certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I started diving the only Tec diving was cave, after I became an instructor I did a cave class that took 4 weekends over 2 months since I had to travel from Texas to Florida. I the tech divers of today could see the gear that we used they would refuse to dive with us. Later to keep up in the industry I did some more modern tech classes thru rebreather. but most of the time I'm happy with a single tank no-deco dive with wife and friends.

This is less of an issue at the DM level, but if you are planning to become an instructor, SSI Instructors can only work at an SSI shop. So you must be associated with an SSI shop and certify through them, if you don't have a shop to work you can't certify anyone. As far as I know no other agencies have this limitation.

Hi all,

I am looking to also do my divemaster this year and it would most like being in either a PADI or SSI location, so I was wondering if I might face any issues or challenges in that regard (particularly if I went to PADI) as my previous 2 certs would be SSI and SDI.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

Best,
Justin

Justin,

At the recreational level the certs are pretty much mix & match. I recommend doing your dive master with the company you want to work for. Firstly you’ll have the agency they want instead of possibly having to pay for a crossover course. Secondly, many places will want an unknown dive master to work a free internship. If you train with your future employer the internship and certification can essentially be combined. You be a known product rather than a random pro off the street.

Sam

Thanks for answering my initial question, seems it got a bit sidetracked towards the end but thank you!
Normal here.

More or less the same entry requirement for both PADI and SSI DM course.
18 yrs old, certified to rescue divers(or equivalent) and 40 logged dives.
I do not see any issue in mixing the training with these two agencies!

Good luck to your future career.

Whatever you decide, be sure to add GUE (fundies) to your list of agencies, even if you want to focus on a single agency, take fundies ASAP after OW.

When I started diving the only Tec diving was cave, after I became an instructor I did a cave class that took 4 weekends over 2 months since I had to travel from Texas to Florida. I the tech divers of today could see the gear that we used they would refuse to dive with us. Later to keep up in the industry I did some more modern tech classes thru rebreather. but most of the time I'm happy with a single tank no-deco dive with wife and friends.
When I started diving, I used to really look up to DiveMASTERs. Their stories, their skills, etc. Then as I gained in experience and skills I realised that it was purely relative: compared with my novice skills at that time, they were great. Compared with most technical divers, their diving skills and diving knowledge are not in the same league.

One beef I’ve had with DiveMasters is their kit. Often it’s sponsored by the dive shop and they recommend too much of the beginner tat — overpriced junk that you don’t need and frequently should avoid (i3, ankle weights, silly fins, expensive regs, crappy SMBs...)

For people starting out in diving; go diving, practice and enjoy diving! The DiveMasters are there to help. And ask on here for equipment advice before purchase — it will save you a fortune.
I believe what you say about tech. divers' advanced skills. I have also read that these skills can be very helpful to rec. divers and that it is a good idea for them to take a (some) tech. course(s) even if they never intend to do any tech. diving.
Without getting too specific & lengthy, could you give some of the major examples of these skills that would be a direct benefit to rec. divers? And maybe something on what theory is learned that is more advanced than the DM stuff? I'm curious, and this may be of help for those deciding which path to take after Rescue Course.

Without getting too specific & lengthy, could you give some of the major examples of these skills that would be a direct benefit to rec. divers?

All divers will benefit from rock solid 'core' skills: buoyancy, trim and finning.

The test is being able to hover motionless and move around without destroying the visibility and environment. When these skills are sorted, you can do so much more as regards task loading without issues.

Photography becomes simple. Observing flora and fauna is safer if you can back out without using your arms. Penetrating wrecks is easier and safer without kicking out the visibility. Buddy diving is safer. Holding your decompression stops is simple and less frenetic (safety stops).

Everything is easier and safer.

You can do a lot better than DiveMASTER. In PADI terms it’s a glorified shop assistant and dive guide.

Technical diving is where the skills are. Deeper, longer, further, all need skills way above those of DiveMASTERs.

In any case keep at the basic courses, go diving and practice as much as you can. Getting to Rescue Diver is a good target and then decide where your diving future goes.

The problem is you are talking apples and oranges.

Being capable of doing a mixed gas dive is different skill set to what a Dive Master requires. The objectives are different. There are complimentary skills. Good buoyancy skills, good diving techniques etc.
In truth most of the time you spend when teaching a 'technical course' is spent teaching people to improve what should be basic diving skills. The 'technical part' is quite a short part of the course. Most people who fail 'technical qualifications fail because of 'diving skill' failures, not the stuff about mixed gas and decompression theory.

Buoyancy - Diving Skill
Fining (backwards, helicopter turns, flutter kicks, etc) - Diving skill
Buoyancy stop - diving skill
Confidant mask clearing, regulator switching, AAS, CBL etc - diving skill

They apply in 10m of water and 100m. If you are on air, or Helium.
In truth - the 'technical' bit is understanding the gas, and the decompression. A lot of this is easier now than in the past, rather than cutting tables, determining your gases etc. There are computers doing this for you and in some agencies prescriptive gases to use.

A lot of 'professional' divemasters are managing groups of people. If you are on a live aboard, the divemaster is co-ordinating the crew, the customers, the equipment, doing site briefing and safety checks. Their diving skills are excellent.
But then they are not zero to hero types.
I've dived with a lot of 'technical qualified divers' , who struggle to manage themselves, let alone 12 or 20 divers.

Look at some of the CMAS and BSAC courses. There is a point where the 'diving' skill element is basically assumed and just assessed. The big element of the course is the expedition management, planing and rescue co-ordination.

Gareth

T
Buoyancy - Diving Skill
Fining (backwards, helicopter turns, flutter kicks, etc) - Diving skill
Buoyancy stop - diving skill
Confidant mask clearing, regulator switching, AAS, CBL etc - diving skill

They apply in 10m of water and 100m. If you are on air, or Helium.

Without question the best course I've ever taken is GUE Fundamentals. It completely changed my diving career as it set the bar for standards. It took a considerable effort after the course to unlearn the poor recreational habits, but once achieved then all diving becomes simple and hassle free.

It's horrible to see a group of people out of trim, "scissor kicking" up the silt, arms flapping with kit all over the place. It shouldn't be like that at any level of diving.

Back
Top Bottom