Mixing Organization Certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Justin751

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

This is my first post and I had a question regarding mixing certifications. I know there isn't much difference when mixing OW and AOW, etc but was wondering if how that was looked on when going for Divemaster?

I'm currently SSI open water with about 30 dives; currently in Colombia and found a great price to get SDI certified for advanced OW (or whatever the equivalent is called for SDI).

I am looking to also do my divemaster this year and it would most like being in either a PADI or SSI location, so I was wondering if I might face any issues or challenges in that regard (particularly if I went to PADI) as my previous 2 certs would be SSI and SDI.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

Best,
Justin

The only issues I've known of is when someone tried to mix and match PADI and SDI specialties for PADI Master Diver.

But having OW through one agency, AOW through another, and DM from someone else? Have at!

Mix it up all you want until you get to the pro levels, it's probably a good idea to take classes from different agencies as you learn to get different perspectives. If you can't do different agencies at least learn from different instructors.

Check both agencies entry requirement for Divemaster! They are very very similar.
Rescue or equivalent, 18 yrs old and 40 logged dives.

Good luck

Mix it up all you want until you get to the pro levels, it's probably a good idea to take classes from different agencies as you learn to get different perspectives. If you can't do different agencies at least learn from different instructors.
Yeah that's it, assuming you have access to multiple agencies. Once you hit the pro level, you can cross-over to another agency, but there is usually some course work or other requirements to be done.
I believe you have to do all the stuff required within the same agency if you seek their Master Scuba Diver Cert. Lots of threads on this.

You can do a lot better than DiveMASTER. In PADI terms it’s a glorified shop assistant and dive guide.

Technical diving is where the skills are. Deeper, longer, further, all need skills way above those of DiveMASTERs.

In any case keep at the basic courses, go diving and practice as much as you can. Getting to Rescue Diver is a good target and then decide where your diving future goes.

You can do a lot better than DiveMASTER. In PADI terms it’s a glorified shop assistant and dive guide.
Your lack of worldly dive experience shows. Divemasters are trained as instructional assistants, who might also lead dives. If you are interested in the instructional side of diving, divemaster is an excellent -- essential, in fact -- credential.
Technical diving is where the skills are. Deeper, longer, further, all need skills way above those of DiveMASTERs.
Technical skills are not the only kind of skills. Some of the worst instructors are those who are excellent technical divers but have no knowledge of how to teach.

More importantly, being a Divemaster and being a technical diver are not mutually exclusive. It is quite possible to do both.

In any case keep at the basic courses, go diving and practice as much as you can. Getting to Rescue Diver is a good target and then decide where your diving future goes.
Agree. Divemaster is a course on teaching and some skills you need to lead dives. It is helpful to your own diving in that there is a fair bit of theory, and a requirement to perfect the (24) skills to demonstration level.
I am not a tech. diver, but from what I read, comparing it to DM is apples & oranges. I do believe that having the advanced skills that tech. covers can only help your rec. diving, but for the most part aren't necessary. Same as a whole lot of the theory knowledge in the DM course is good knowledge, but maybe overkill when considering what you will do working as a DM.
But we are getting a bit far afield from the question.

No one has addressed mixing agencies with the various tech. courses. Perhaps someone can chime in on that.

When I started diving, I used to really look up to DiveMASTERs. Their stories, their skills, etc. Then as I gained in experience and skills I realised that it was purely relative: compared with my novice skills at that time, they were great. Compared with most technical divers, their diving skills and diving knowledge are not in the same league.

One beef I’ve had with DiveMasters is their kit. Often it’s sponsored by the dive shop and they recommend too much of the beginner tat — overpriced junk that you don’t need and frequently should avoid (i3, ankle weights, silly fins, expensive regs, crappy SMBs...)

For people starting out in diving; go diving, practice and enjoy diving! The DiveMasters are there to help. And ask on here for equipment advice before purchase — it will save you a fortune.

Thanks for answering my initial question, seems it got a bit sidetracked towards the end but thank you!

Back
Top Bottom