RA Flight question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, 12:30am

upload_2021-3-24_10-30-20.png

sorry, my mistake. I thought there was not such a thing. Only 00.30 and 12.30. Or 00.30am and 00.30pm. I should have Googled first.

Now I understand your originalquestion -- I thought you were asking was there a flight at that time. Most US digital clocks and thus most US people call the time between midnight and 1am, 12:xxAM. Outside of the US military, I'm not aware of any other large set of the US population that would use the 0.xx approach. They might exist, but I'm rarely awake at that time so I have limited set of data points.

And this might be like the metric system where the US is the outlier in relation to how the rest of the world operates.

Remember - this is Indonesia. Advice about leaving plenty of time between flight changes is absolutely right. You can never have too much time. The classic is that the flight out from Singapore has been delayed by weather so it cannot arrive to pick you up, and when it does eventually arrive it can just about land, but not take off again, because the weather in Singapore has followed it. So 5 hours of looking at an empty runway is followed by 5 hours of looking at a plane on the runway.

Tip - if this happens to you, do not rush to get a ticket for the first alternative flight out. The weather may not have cleared. We were slow to wade through the crowds to rebook. So we had to wait a long time. But our flight departed, full. The quick movers were still stuck in the terminal because their flights were cancelled because the weather did not clear for hours.. A feeling of inferiority and lack of initiative were replaced by deep smugness. And that was possible because mega-time had been allowed at Singapore to change for London. Bored is good, frantic use of credit card is bad. We made the change in Changi comfortably. Sane.

Jakarta airport - very civilised, good coffee shops and the hotel is a bit dated but clean, and the staff are friendly and efficient.

00:30 is only use in 24-hour clock. It is equivalent to 12:30 AM in 12-hour (AM/PM) clock. There is no such thing as 00:30 AM nor 00:30 PM.

00:30 is only use in 24-hour clock. It is equivalent to 12:30 AM in 12-hour (AM/PM) clock. There is no such thing as 00:30 AM nor 00:30 PM.
Under the chapter confusion in Wiki:
It is not always clear what times "12:00 a.m." and "12:00 p.m." denote. From the Latin words meridies (midday), ante (before) and post (after), the term ante meridiem (a.m.) means before midday and post meridiem (p.m.) means after midday. Since "noon" (midday, meridies (m.)) is neither before nor after itself, the terms a.m. and p.m. do not apply.[2] Although "12 m." was suggested as a way to indicate noon, this is seldom done[20] and also does not resolve the question of how to indicate midnight.

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language states "By convention, 12 AM denotes midnight and 12 PM denotes noon. Because of the potential for confusion, it is advisable to use 12 noon and 12 midnight."[24]

E. G. Richards in his book Mapping Time provided a diagram in which 12 a.m. means noon and 12 p.m. means midnight.[25]

The style manual of the United States Government Printing Office used 12 a.m. for noon and 12 p.m. for midnight until its 2008 edition, when it reversed these designations[17][18] and then retained that change in its 2016 revision.[26]

Many U.S. style guides, and NIST's "Frequently asked questions (FAQ)" web page,[2] recommend that it is clearest if one refers to "noon" or "12:00 noon" and "midnight" or "12:00 midnight" (rather than to "12:00 p.m." and "12:00 a.m."). The NIST website states that "12 a.m. and 12 p.m. are ambiguous and should not be used."

The Associated Press Stylebook specifies that midnight "is part of the day that is ending, not the one that is beginning."[23]

The Canadian Press Stylebook[21] says, "write noon or midnight, not 12 noon or 12 midnight." Phrases such as "12 a.m." and "12 p.m." are not mentioned at all. Britain's National Physical Laboratory "FAQ-Time" web page[22] states "In cases where the context cannot be relied upon to place a particular event, the pair of days straddling midnight can be quoted"; also "the terms 12 a.m. and 12 p.m. should be avoided."

Likewise, some U.S. style guides recommend either clarifying "midnight" with other context clues, such as specifying the two dates between which it falls, or not referring to the term at all. For an example of the latter method, "midnight" is replaced with "11:59 p.m." for the end of a day or "12:01 a.m." for the start of a day. That has become common in the United States in legal contracts and for airplane, bus, or train schedules, though some schedules use other conventions. Occasionally, when trains run at regular intervals, the pattern may be broken at midnight by displacing the midnight departure one or more minutes, such as to 11:59 p.m. or 12:01 a.m.[27]

In literature

NO need to quote all those irrelevant info on 12:00 noon, midnight etc etc.

This is about 12:30 am!
There is absolutely no mistaken on what time of the day it is! 30 mins pass midnight in the morning.

am and pm.

NO need to quote all those irrelevant info on 12:00 noon, midnight etc etc.

This is about 12:30 am!
There is absolutely no mistaken on what time of the day it is! 30 mins pass midnight in the morning.

am and pm.
Thank you for your wise advice and correction.

Batik, some years ago, had a nonstop CGK-SOQ, ~10:00-16:00.

Quite civilized, arrive CGK in the late afternoon/evening, spend the night, and travel on to Sorong during the day.

Alas, the flight has long been removed from Batik's schedule - too bad - early AM departures are not my favorite.

Perhaps they will try the daytime flight again when RA reopens to international travelers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom