Nitrox course. What's the point?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i am confused a bit by your post. are you asking what is the point of taking a nitrox class when you are already taking the science of diving ? or am missing something ?

science of diving is a great knowledge based course, but most would only take this if they want to progress through the ssi system to the pro level.

the nitrox course gives you the knowledge / ability to dive using O2 rich gases up to 40%.

the two courses have nothing to do with one another.
You are right. I am wondering if I will learn anything more in Nitrox course than in Science of Diving that I have already taken. I can calculate PPO2, know the limitations, understand Oxygen clean and service, know if equipment are compatible. It seems to me that I have already learnt all the theory and Nitrox course is almost 100% theory only.

You are right. I am wondering if I will learn anything more in Nitrox course than in Science of Diving that I have already taken. I can calculate PPO2, know the limitations, understand Oxygen clean and service, know if equipment are compatible. It seems to me that I have already learnt all the theory and Nitrox course is almost 100% theory only.

without the nitrox cert you cannot dive nitrox. no shop is gonna give you a tank fill without that card.

Many LDS will ask to see your Nitrox C card before letting you dive Nitrox.

without the nitrox cert you cannot dive nitrox. no shop is gonna give you a tank fill without that card.
Ok. So that's just regulatory. Thanks.

You will need the card to dive Nitrox on a liveaboard, day boats, or at a resort. It's also a prerequisite for technical courses.

I was in Palau and refused Nitrox because I did not have my Nitrox card. I had my Advanced Nitrox, Decompression Procedures, and Trimix cards but not my Nitrox card (don't remember why I lost that one). I had to use an international data modem to log on to PADI website and provide proof that I had taken Nitrox.

Ok. So that's just regulatory. Thanks.

haha ya just regulatory. the only way around it is if you plan on filling your own tanks or if you deal with a shady dive shop. but if you travel.....then what ?

You will need the card to dive Nitrox on a liveaboard, day boats, or at a resort. It's also a prerequisite for technical courses.

I was in Palau and refused Nitrox because I did not have my Nitrox card. I had my Advanced Nitrox, Decompression Procedures, and Trimix cards but not my Nitrox card (don't remember why I lost that one). I had to use an international data modem to log on to PADI website and provide proof that I had taken Nitrox.
But you had Advanced Nitrox. What was wrong?

Right. The only additional thing that I identified was Tank analysis. Watching MOD is also taught in SSI Deep Diving and setting the computer for nitrox should not require a dedicated course, should it?

SSI has no bearing on what the other training agencies do. Most divers are vacation divers. Entry level training pretty much caters to the lowest common denominator. I include Nitrox in that.

Hello. I met my instructor this morning to discuss my February diving plan. For the context, I started diving on Nov 3rd, got OW certified in late nov then AOW in late december. 48 dives so far all in the ocean. Took Perfect Buoyancy, React Right, Science of Diving and Deep Diving courses. For the next month, I wanted to do Stress & Rescue and Nitrox courses but then I realized that the Nitrox course is theory only. And when I looked in details, I could not find the added value compared to the Science of Diving Course. If this is only about learning Nitrogen Narcosis, Oxygen toxicity, Partial Pressures, Diving tables, Oxygen service, Oxygen clean, equipment compatibility concepts that are already taught in Science of Diving or that can easily be learnt reading (SB among others), what's the point?
without wanting to sound overly cynical I think you are enmeshed in a system designed to transfer money from your bank account to theirs. Do some more diving until you are pretty comfortable in the water and then just do ADV nitrox and deco procedures in one go

without wanting to sound overly cynical I think you are enmeshed in a system designed to transfer money from your bank account to theirs. Do some more diving until you are pretty comfortable in the water and then just do ADV nitrox and deco procedures in one go
I am not interested in deco or tech. I just want to be able to dive nitrox when it is possible or advised. And I am pretty comfortable in water. I am not sure that I need to wait to have 150 dives (in Q2) to do Nitrox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom