Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Up to you. For what it's worth, I only really use the snorkel if I'm shore diving in, say, Bonaire where I have a long surface swim to the buoys/reef, etc. I'd rather breathe through the snorkel than use tank gas getting out there. We usually swim underwater back and use the gradual slope back to shore as a "safety stop". Even then I have a foldable snorkel on a quick release so I can fold it up and put it in a pocket for the dive.

I have a semi-rigid (i.e. non fold-able) one. When I plan to do long-ish surface swims I bring it along and use it - it makes surface swims so much more comfortable.
It is not attached to my mask. Instead I have attached a small bolt snap to it and just before I start my dive I clip it to my right waist d-ring. It has never bothered me.

Yes, on a couple of occasions in choppy seas with an unexpected adverse current where my dive buddy did not have the air needed to go back to depth, and a boat captain too busy with onboard problems to come get us. Both my dive buddy and I were happy to have the snorkel when needed.

Similar experience with surface chop where there was a delay waiting for rest of divers to get in the water. Ultimately decided to descend as it was getting too crowded on surface. I, too, generally pack a roll-up rather than the mask strap standard.

I was involved with a new girl that was finding it difficult to the point of exhaustion, to differentiate between the snorkel and the inflator underwater including the regulator on the surface. Then followed my minutes disentangling her hair from the snorkel, holder and mask strap as her terrified boyfriend was not prepared to pull hard enough.

One shouldn't blame a piece of equipment for their lack of proper skills and training. This is classic case of improper and inadequate training and competence not equipment.

FOUR PAGES of responses in under 12 hours!! LOLOL!!

I don't - because my hair gets tangled in it AND because it's really annoying during the dive as it gets stuck over my shoulder and then under my regulator. Ugh. I suppose I should find a way to carry it with me in case I need it, but so far it has not been necessary. The ONE time I needed a snorkel was when I was on a boat and there was a manta in the water and I wanted to snorkel. I borrowed someone else's - in covid days I might not want to do such a thing though.

Curious about surface swim comments, and who does surface swims on their face and who does surface swims on their back.

I'm always on my back. Never needed a snorkel.

For me it depends. Both methods (on back or face down i.e. snorkeling) have pros and cons. Here are some of them:
- If I am with a buddy we can discus during the swim on our backs and it makes time pass faster. That's assuming good surface conditions - I would never attempt a long-ish surface swim with chop.
- When I am solo though I hate surface swims on my back. It feels I am moving very slow, usually there is a bright sun blinding me etc. Switching to snorkeling is so much more enjoyable. I can still see fish and the bottom, no sun blinding me, and who cares how long it takes? I can snorkel for hours like this.
- Snorkeling is also good in case there are (even small) waves coming directly to your face.

As always that's just me - YMMV.

Never needed a snorkel.
Good for you. Now, would you bet your life (or discomfort) you never would? And how much hassle would bringing a snorkel cost you? My roll-up in my right DS thigh pocket costs me exactly zero, but it sure has come in handy a couple times.

I had one, never liked it, never used it, ditched it.
Later I was doing a surf entry with a long surface swim. I was loaned one. I always hated them, never had one that was worth a crap. Always way too wet. Well this modern one was nice and would allow swimming into the waves crashing over my head and not filling the snorkel with water. Hey, a good one actually does exist. Gave the loaner back and bought one.

Since then, used it once. I'm not sure where it is right now. Did a snorkel to shore once. One time in maybe 4 years? And it was planned ahead of time.

Are they useful? In the right situation, yes. All the time, no. Personally, most of the time it is no.
I presume the training still includes a snorkel these days. As a newly certified diver I would lean toward keeping it for a little bit. When you do a dive consider if it was useful, or could have been useful. After a bit of diving you can make your own decision if it is a benefit or not. There is no universal answer, but a lot around here will go without.

I can see that those diving Florida caves see no need for a snorkel.

In marine open water, I think that forgoing a snorkel is plain stupid. Usually, you don't need it. But if you do, it's damned nice to have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom