Possible first dive in French Polynesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mesten95

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

My partner and I will be going to French Polynesia next month and we are considering our first ever dive.
That's right, we have absolutely no diving experience yet. I have read much about the shark-infested South Pass of Fakarava as well as the Tiputa Pass, which I understand to be even more advanced than Fakarava. Would either of these dives be even remotely entertainable for total newbies? Does anyone have suggestions on places in that area that may be better suited?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Are you on your own boat passing through or flying in as tourists?

There is a crazy dive shop there that can do intro dives (well there was when i was there many years ago), and they will have shallower sites to check you out then may take you on the pass drift dive if your competent enough.

Where are you now? is it possible to do a try dive before you go? Even if just an experience program in a pool will help.

The drift dive is insane there but the most intense experiences are not for beginner divers, Fakarava has one of the most intense ive ever been on!

If you can share a few more details we can tailor some advice.

When I was there 2 years ago, the dive ops generally required AOW or equivalent to dive the passes. Although I only have OW, my dive op allowed me to dive the pass because of my overall dive history and experience, plus I had all of my own dive gear, and I guess they could tell I was not going to be a problem for them. However, if you are not even certified, Fakarava would not be my recommendation for a first dive unless the dive op can take you to a very shallow and sheltered dive site. Even some of the AOW divers in our group had a very difficult time with the current. I think Bora Bora or Moorea would be a better option for a first dive/Discover Dive.

When I was there 2 years ago, the dive ops generally required AOW or equivalent to dive the passes. Although I only have OW, my dive op allowed me to dive the pass because of my overall dive history and experience, plus I had all of my own dive gear, and I guess they could tell I was not going to be a problem for them. However, if you are not even certified, Fakarava would not be my recommendation for a first dive unless the dive op can take you to a very shallow and sheltered dive site. Even some of the AOW divers in our group had a very difficult time with the current. I think Bora Bora or Moorea would be a better option for a first dive/Discover Dive.
Agreed - neither site is a good pick for a first dive.

I dove Tiputa Pass last October and it was fantastic - but it can be a deep dive and had VERY strong currents at times - even at shallower depths.

I could see how a new diver could get into trouble quickly there

I got rescue certified to be able to dive to 30-40m there. They follow the French CMAS system so PADI OW/AOW can limit you to max 20 m if the OP strictly follows their published rules.

The outer reef in Bora Bora would be a good choice - shallower and only slight currents - but great coral and fish life - I enjoyed that as well. From what I’ve heard, the diving in Moorea had more choice for sites suitable for new divers as well.

Thank you all for the very helpful and thoughtful comments. I think we will stick to Bora Bora or Mo'orea if we do decide to dive.

Nevertheless, Fakarava and Rangiroa are very intriguing to us even without diving. I know this is not a travel website, and will continue to research, but I would be curious to hear from those who have been whether they'd recommend it to non-divers. I've heard the snorkeling in Fakarava is also exquisite, and that might at least give us a taste of what's at greater depths.

Thanks again!

Thank you all for the very helpful and thoughtful comments. I think we will stick to Bora Bora or Mo'orea if we do decide to dive.

Nevertheless, Fakarava and Rangiroa are very intriguing to us even without diving. I know this is not a travel website, and will continue to research, but I would be curious to hear from those who have been whether they'd recommend it to non-divers. I've heard the snorkeling in Fakarava is also exquisite, and that might at least give us a taste of what's at greater depths.

Thanks again!
Rangiroa was beautiful. You can still do snorkeling trips inside the pass (at the Coral Gardens) and even a drift snorkel in Tiputa Pass itself - that was a blast. We even got to snorkel with the dolphins outside of the pass - not guaranteed but they came right up to us on one snorkel trip (my wife doesn’t dive so we did a few snorkel trips as well).

We loved riding bikes to the pass and watching the dolphins frolick in the outgoing tide from a little view park there almost every evening.

There are also some day trips to other places like the blue lagoon which was beautiful and a fun trip with some shark snorkeling as well.

One other mention - the people all over French Polynesia were wonderful - very warm and welcoming everywhere we visited (Rangiroa, Taha’a and Bora Bora). We are already planning on going back in a few years and will hit Fakarava as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom