Rob Stewart Investigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It also seems to be quite ambitious that he would have obtained all those certifications at such a young age.

To what end? How much instructing did this young man do? I'm trying to figure out how he had the time to obtain all of those certification, work on his documentaries, AND teach.

To what end? How much instructing did this young man do? I'm trying to figure out how he had the time to obtain all of those certification, work on his documentaries, AND teach.

All very good questions. I'm sorry but I don't have the answers. If I find out, I will pass it on. I will ask someone at TDI about some details on his certifications.

I’ll bet somewhere there is some TDI IT is scrambling to put paper together to document a bunch of training....
not from 2000... and frankly that being past any legal time to hold them the IT may be more concerned trying to recall if he/she tossed them and if not would they get caught tossing them.

In 2002 I was given at no-cost and no-effort a handful of SDI and TDI Instructor cards to match what my then-current PADI Instructor credentials were. This was a Bret Gilliam special deal when he was SDI./TDI and was trying to build his instructor corps; my cost was paying for SDI/TDI dues for a year. That was the extent of my "cross-over" and I taught various SDI and TDI courses for a number of years based on those cards. I wonder if Stewart got a similar deal.....did he have any PADI Instructor cards? Which would NOT have included the Draeger SCR, by the way, or any other tech credentials, since PADI did not have nay tech courses at that time.

In 2002 I was given at no-cost and no-effort a handful of SDI and TDI Instructor cards to match what my then-current PADI Instructor credentials were. This was a Bret Gilliam special deal when he was SDI./TDI and was trying to build his instructor corps; my cost was paying for SDI/TDI dues for a year. That was the extent of my "cross-over" and I taught various SDI and TDI courses for a number of years based on those cards. I wonder if Stewart got a similar deal.....did he have any PADI Instructor cards? Which would NOT have included the Draeger SCR, by the way, or any other tech credentials, since PADI did not have nay tech courses at that time.
I got the same deal about the same time, maybe a year or so later. Actually, they gave me instrctor cards for just about anything I was certified for. I was never asked for my cards either.

I got the same deal about the same time, maybe a year or so later. Actually, they gave me instrctor cards for just about anything I was certified for. I was never asked for my cards either.
As did I, just after SDI was formed, when they were still up in Bath, Maine.

But I have another question for the sleuths. Stewart says in his book that he suffered from low blood pressure, that he fainted when hungover, and that he worried about shallow water blackout. As far as I remember from my time as an instructor, fainting and passing out is a yes answer on the medical form that he had to have filled out when accepted for rEvo training with Sotis. I would thing a yes answer would have tripped Claudia’s red flag and would have prevented him from taking the rEvo course. Conconnan alludes in his response to the plaintiffs latest filing that Steward did fill out a medical and did not note that he had any medical conditions that are a contraindication to diving. As a instructor, being familiar with the medical and the penalties for putting down a yes answer, did Stewart lie on his medical? If he did, would Sotis have known that Stewart could pass out while diving? And had Claudia known that, would she have acted differently in the event Stewart was on the surface alone?

What if whatever happened to Stewart wasn’t related to the dive at all, but was based on exertion and a preexisting medical condition that he failed to disclose to both the boat, to his instructor, and his production company underwriter?

What if whatever happened to Stewart wasn’t related to the dive at all,
But it also happened to Sotis, right?

But it also happened to Sotis, right?
Well, something did. Are you sure that they were related? I can’t take any more classes because there are now items on my medical I’m not willing to disclose. But Mel isn’t likely to sue anyone if a preexisting medical condition happens to me.

Are you sure that they were related?
Only by time, dive profiles and proximity. We're not even sure Stewart passed out. Possibly he just let his loop flood, sank below the surface and couldn't resolve the issue fast enough.

Only by time, dive profiles and proximity. We're not even sure Stewart passed out. Possibly he just let his loop flood, sank below the surface and couldn't resolve the issue fast enough.

I'm not sure the issue with his propensity to pass out relates to why he went under. I think it more relates to the fact that if he didn't disclose that as a pre-existing medical problem, then he should have. It's possible that rEvo and Sotis would not have accepted him into the course if that had been disclosed. Would have to ask Peter what he said on his medical.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom