DAN Safety Light w/Dome Flooded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dermochelys

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
**PLEASE DISREGARD ORIGINAL POST** LEFT BELOW FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES.

It's been awhile since my last dive trip, and before that trip I purchased the "DAN Deluxe Surface Signaling Kit" which comes with the "DAN Safety Light w/Dome". I checked to be sure that the light was working when I purchased it and that it was ready to go before my dives (making sure the cap was on correctly). However didn't check it after my dives or before putting into storage, and apparently it flooded during those dives.

I opened it up yesterday while doing a gear inventory only to find all the metal inside is completely rusted. I tried to sandpaper the leads, but there are two small connecting metal bars that immediately broke...so it's toast.

Anyway, needless to say it's past the return window, so I just wanted to give a "buyer beware" to this item. I'm very disappointed, I thought DAN wouldn't sell gear that would fail so quickly.

Can you indicate how long it was between the time you dived, and then the time you performed maintenance on a piece of essential equipment?

So are you saying it leaked seawater into your light or the batteries you left in it (it's been a while) leaked and destroyed the inside?

It was moist on the inside. The last dive it went on was a cold water dive (~52 F), so perhaps the moisture might have just been from condensation that got stuck in there. I don't think it was the batteries leaking, as metal not in contact with the batteries was also rusted. But hey, I could be wrong, I am human.

It was moist on the inside. The last dive it went on was a cold water dive (~52 F), so perhaps the moisture might have just been from condensation that got stuck in there. I don't think it was the batteries leaking, as metal not in contact with the batteries was also rusted. But hey, I could be wrong, I am human.
So when did you buy it and how many dives.? I have two of the DAN SMBs, one 11 years old the other a little newer, maybe 9 years. Had to replace the mirrors as they corroded and one of the lights cracked. Given the length of times, number of dives, and abuse from same plus travels I think they have held up very well. I considered the replacements minor.

I purchased it back in 2016 and it went on 4 dives, but was never used.

Upon further reflection and examination of the evidence, I admit it is possible that the liquid inside the case was the batteries leaking, but just not crystallizing perhaps because of the o-ring keeping the air out, or perhaps condensation from the cold water dive. Yes, I should have checked on this item since those dives, but I haven't needed / used the light since that time.

At least I was checking it before attempting to use it again.

I withdraw my "buyer beware" based on the circumstances and I apologize for starting the thread. I've asked for the thread to be deleted, but was informed that it was too late....sorry.

It is a useful thread if it serves to remind people that long term storage of lights with batteries inside is to be avoided. I have had absolutely terrible luck with duracell and will no longer buy them.

4 years is a really, really long time to leave disposable batteries in any device. I've had batteries leak after 6 months when I forgot about them and left them in a non-diving flashlight.

Back
Top Bottom