How to react to bad diver etiquette (coral poaching/destruction etc)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also be careful that you actually understand what is happening

Not much doubt when someone digs into the ground and pulls their hand out holding an inking octopus.

What if they were catching the octopus to remove a fishing hook and line which was stuck in it?
Now you are trolling.

This wasn’t South West Rocks. There was no fishing line anywhere. The dive guide was playing with it while his customers took photos until I pulled him aside so the octopus could escape.

On a Bahamas snorkel boat in a marine park, a selfish person came out of the water with a perfect fan coral for her “ beach decor” and laid it on the boat deck. I slid my fin under it and looked at my husband and he said, “Send it high” and so I flipped it over the side of the boat. No words of reproach from anyone.

For the Photographer Phuck Ups:

A Fine target, the camera-dragging tw@t,

to send Weaponized Warhammers at.

While he’s downstream destroying

I’m upstream deploying

He can photograph that, which I shat, the asshat.

I've been in a few situations where I said something to someone in front of a DM, or something to a DM.privately.

It generally appears they didn't want to confront a customer, but that they were glad someone said something, and then they would chime in or do something.

I figure once they knew they would make a customer unhappy whether they did something or not, they may as well do something about the problem..

@ATJ yeah sometimes the wildlife just wants to interfere with you :wink:
on one of my first dives in the Red Sea a quite huge remora attached himself to me.

First at my leg, I thought my buddy wanted to get my attention, then between my legs. thats when i first saw the fish. I got a bit concerned with him choosing my crotch for a resting place. After nibbling on my hair he decided to go for my mask. Was quite exciting seeing the suckerplate at work.

Thanks all for sharing your point of view. Some stories are exactly the situations I was thinking about. And i have to be honest, I dont know if I had reacted as coolheaded. @Cali_diver Ugh I will have a nightmare about green wetsuit eco-terrorists today.

Not at all!

I presented a perfectly valid situation where the other people misunderstood what happening to illustrate that it isn't always obvious what is happening!
I think your point is valid for situations that are not black/white. I stated the same early in the thread. However in my understanding there are black/white situations with no wiggleroom. Many such cases in this thread. And its what my initial question is about.

I have absolutely no intention to be a scuba Stasi and make a fuss about situations i misunderstand or simply have no knowledge about but if i see an overweighted groundflounder dredging a path of destruction in 2000year old coral or that guy that mistakes a coral reef for IKEA accesoire department I will not tolerate or give the benefit of the doubt.

My advice: if you don’t like seeing people touch/harass the wildlife, don’t dive in Japan.

I don’t think people should touch the wildlife, but I also don’t think suddenly bagging lobsters or harpooning fish is acceptable either. If I was on a dive and someone moved a starfish to get a better picture, and someone else shot a fish, I’d be much more upset about the person spear fishing.

I am happy to just swim by and look at the fish. I think scuba should be a spectator sport. Just my feelings on the matter.

My advice: if you don’t like seeing people touch/harass the wildlife, don’t dive in Japan.
Is it a local thing or is it the tourists?
As to the other stuff about spearfishing: While I have absolutely no problem with a responsible hunter, I would not feel comfortable diving close to a spearfisher simply for my personal security, since all my previous and planned dive locations are potential shark territory. I would not like to be close to a bleeding wiggling fish and a OWT decides to go into feed mode :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom