Best Buoyancy Solutions For Underwater Cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DB-BL.jpg

I've been using Ultralight's 2" Buoyancy Arms for years. My aluminum Subal housing, Nikon camera, and Ikelite DS-160 strobes make a great boat anchor without buoyancy. These arms aren't as bulky and clumsy as the foam arms and provide more than enough lift. I tried using four of them once and I struggled to hold the housing down.

What a timely article, I was just researching this....

I'm using Kraken's adjustable buoyancy arms for my A9 in a Nuaticam housing and a 90mm macro port. These arms handle the vertical buoyancy perfectly, I can dial in buoyancy to a few grams. My problem is horizontal trim, I cannot adjust the arms in any way that keeps the nose down on the rig and it's bad enough to take the joy out of the shoot.

I've read the posts so far and get the idea of the trim needed, I could make my own but I'm wondering if anyone else is using a similar rig and is there a purpose built kit for it?

My problem is horizontal trim, I cannot adjust the arms in any way that keeps the nose down on the rig and it's bad enough to take the joy out of the shoot.

I've read the posts so far and get the idea of the trim needed, I could make my own but I'm wondering if anyone else is using a similar rig and is there a purpose built kit for it?

I assume you're talking about "forward to back" lifting, correct? If so, you can use the tape-style wheel weights on the lens port. They're easy to cut/trim and stay adhered pretty well. If, for some reason, you wanted a slightly less permanent solution, the same style weights could be attached to a strip of velcro and wrap it around the lens port.

Yes, you're correct. I have used stick on weight's on my old L&M housings, but this housing is going to take some serious weight because of the float arms and port combined. I was thinking about a system I could adjust underwater depending on conditions. I have an idea for making one to specifically fit the housing but was hoping some aftermarket device might fit.

If I do come up with a decent DIY I'll post it here for others.

I follow what you're getting at... Personally, I'm not aware of any readily available aftermarket solutions, but hopefully someone else can make suggestions on that....

Just brainstorming here: In the mean time, maybe attaching lead weights to a velcro strap and wrapped around the lens port. Another idea could be casting mini-weights, with the same design as regular dive weights, which could be threaded onto a strap and wrapped. I was thinking maybe ankle weights could work.... whether diving type or exercise type.... could make a small hole to pour out as much weight as needed to hit the right weight, but I'm also thinking they might be too wide for the lens port...

Are you using a tray under the camera housing? (I assume so) Maybe a simple solution could be a thin aluminum bar protruding forwards under the housing to which one or more weights could be attached. Added benefits of this solution include being able to adjust the position of the weight forwards/backwards as well as angled to one side or the other to balance the rig... It could also help provide a stable platform for the rig to sit level on a table/bench....

I follow what you're getting at... Personally, I'm not aware of any readily available aftermarket solutions, but hopefully someone else can make suggestions on that....

Just brainstorming here: In the mean time, maybe attaching lead weights to a velcro strap and wrapped around the lens port. Another idea could be casting mini-weights, with the same design as regular dive weights, which could be threaded onto a strap and wrapped. I was thinking maybe ankle weights could work.... whether diving type or exercise type.... could make a small hole to pour out as much weight as needed to hit the right weight, but I'm also thinking they might be too wide for the lens port...

Are you using a tray under the camera housing? (I assume so) Maybe a simple solution could be a thin aluminum bar protruding forwards under the housing to which one or more weights could be attached. Added benefits of this solution include being able to adjust the position of the weight forwards/backwards as well as angled to one side or the other to balance the rig... It could also help provide a stable platform for the rig to sit level on a table/bench....

Exactly, I have access to a precision machine shop, so fabricating a weight on a sliding bar may be just the thing. I never thought of using it as a stabilizer as well, that’s a great idea. This may be better than purchasing a generic device if one exists, I can make this specifically for my housing. I use a flip diopter on the port and don’t like the pressure on the hinge assemble when the camera noses forward when the crew pulls it from the water a sits it in the boat. I’ll sketch this out tonight.... thanks again.

Well, you know it is quite simple and it looks like it would work just fie. In my case I'm going to make one specifically for my housing and long macro lens. I'm most impressed by the idea that whatever the device is, it needs to also provide protection and support for the lens when setting the camera down. Nice find, thank you
Was diving this weekend, without the camera...regretfully :facepalm:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom