Another boat dive question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OnTheMark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, say you and your buddy go on a boat dive and there are 10 other drivers and a DM. You and your buddy work out that after your saving safety 500 psi and your amount needed for ascent, you'll turn the dive when one of you reaches 1500 psi. So you're in the water and you hit 1500 psi.

1) do you need to tell the DM or anyone, other than your buddy, that you and your buddy are turning back?

2) does the rest of the group keep diving; I'm thinking they would but maybe the DM doesn't want people separated?

That’s something you discuss with the dive master before each dive.

And it can depend on the type of dive.

Drift dives? You might all surface together.

Dives with no current, you are likely to be able to go off and explore with your buddy, and surface when you feel like it.

Depends on location in the world and the operator, but all this should be in the dive briefing..
ahhh, of course, that makes sense. As you can tell, I have never done a boat dive (yet)

Again from the Cayman perspective, all the several dive ops I've gone with turn the dive when the first person gets to half a tank, and that will be made clear during the predive briefing. The DM will probably ask you to let him/her know when you get to half tank (and probably 1000 psi as well), and will also probably ask everyone for their gas level during the dive regardless.

My experience in drift diving in the Ft Lauderdale region of Florida has been that the buddies surface together whenever possible. Not-so-confident divers generally signal the DM, and there's a good chance that the DM will follow them up. More confident divers don't usually follow this protocol strictly (and yes, protocol varies boat to boat), with solo surfacing with or without safety stops and/or DSMBs. Generally whatever you're personally comfortable with. My advice is to talk to the DM and give them a hint of what you are comfortable with so that they are aware and can make good judgement calls like following you up or even babysitting your air/no-deco (not that you should count on that).

As others have said, the DM will probably tell you in the briefing what is expected; if they don’t, ask! Procedures vary by location and boat. Never hesitate to ask the question, especially if you are a newer diver.

As others have said, the DM will probably tell you in the briefing what is expected; if they don’t, ask! Procedures vary by location and boat. Never hesitate to ask the question, especially if you are a newer diver.
Yes. I have only experienced one DM-led group dive (in Panama). One guy veered out of the line and screwed everything up for everyone. Details unimportant. So it is good to ask for very specifics if involved with a group dive and separation is necessary. I wouldn't want to be a leader on those.

If there is a dive briefing be sure to pay attention and ask questions if you have any. Don't be fiddling with your gear or chatting etc.. It always amazes me how many times DMs have to work to get diver's attention. These are the divers that usually make a monkeyf@#k out of the dive. Don't be "that guy." :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom