I’m overweight and wanting to get into freediving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you I’m going to keep you updated with my notes and I’m going to do research on these excersizes and try doing some of them. Thank you so much. I needed some help. I’m probably going to pick up a heart monitor on eBay. What should my heart beats per minute goal be on average while working out?
Can you sing while you work out?.
But I don't know if this is applicable to someone your age. It is for adults.

What should my heart beats per minute goal be on average while working out?

If you are otherwise healthy then start at 65 to 70% of max heart rate for the first few weeks....then slowly increase heart rate intensity until you can sustain 80% of max heart rate. Eventually add some higher intensity work in such as sprints and intervals.

Max heart rate is generically calculated by the following formula:

220 - your age = max hr
Max hr x desired percentage gives you the hr for that percent of your max.

Calculate 60% of max and 75% of max hr and workout within that zone for your first 3 weeks.

-Z

The best thing I did at your age was to ride my bike long and far. I also got into canoeing which really, really helped. Century runs on my bike and fifty milers in a canoe really reduced my heart rate and gave me more stamina than I ever needed.

I have heard that if you can’t talk while working out then your working hard enough

It depends....heart rate is a much better indicator. Without a hear rate monitor one can occasionly take their pulse rate...same-same, except not as instantaneous as the constant display of a HRM

-Z

It depends....heart rate is a much better indicator.
Yeah, but don't wait on a heart rate monitor to get started. Walk, ride your bike, run and paddle whenever and wherever you can.

The fitness advice in this thread seems good. I would add that it helps to do something fun - it's easier to stick with enjoyable swimming or biking or a team sport than a grueling and boring weight routine.

Not to pry about medical information from a kid online, but how overweight are we talking? There's a difference between a few pounds chubby and dangerously obese.

I get the feeling that people on this board see "freediving" and picture the super deep hardcore competitive stuff. That's fun too. But If you just love being in the water and exploring for cool fish or lost jewelry you can do plenty casually snorkeling and maybe diving down a few feet relatively safely. Compared to diving it's a lot less gear, less cost, you can spend longer in the water, and it's a better workout. It helps build water skills, experience, and confidence that will help when you get into SCUBA. I did a TON of snorkeling at your age, and still love it to this day even with my fancy technical diving certs.

Have a buddy with you, read up on basic freediving safety practices, progress slowly. Start with safe and easy spots. Don't overweight your weight belt. Bring a marker flag and a knife or line cutter for possible entanglements. There are techniques to train longer breath hold and deeper dives, but don't get into any of that until you feel good about your fitness and comfort level doing the basics.

I'm not sure how good the snorkeling would be in your location. If you're near any lakes there might actually be a lot of cool stuff to explore in the shallows. Even crappy muddy lakes can have surprisingly big fish lurking near the shore, and lots of funny stuff drunk fishermen drop overboard.

The fitness advice in this thread seems good. I would add that it helps to do something fun - it's easier to stick with enjoyable swimming or biking or a team sport than a grueling and boring weight routine.

Not to pry about medical information from a kid online, but how overweight are we talking? There's a difference between a few pounds chubby and dangerously obese.

I get the feeling that people on this board see "freediving" and picture the super deep hardcore competitive stuff. That's fun too. But If you just love being in the water and exploring for cool fish or lost jewelry you can do plenty casually snorkeling and maybe diving down a few feet relatively safely. Compared to diving it's a lot less gear, less cost, you can spend longer in the water, and it's a better workout. It helps build water skills, experience, and confidence that will help when you get into SCUBA. I did a TON of snorkeling at your age, and still love it to this day even with my fancy technical diving certs.

Have a buddy with you, read up on basic freediving safety practices, progress slowly. Start with safe and easy spots. Don't overweight your weight belt. Bring a marker flag and a knife or line cutter for possible entanglements. There are techniques to train longer breath hold and deeper dives, but don't get into any of that until you feel good about your fitness and comfort level doing the basics.

I'm not sure how good the snorkeling would be in your location. If you're near any lakes there might actually be a lot of cool stuff to explore in the shallows. Even crappy muddy lakes can have surprisingly big fish lurking near the shore, and lots of funny stuff drunk fishermen drop overboard.

Yup lol just lakes muddy lakes. But I try to go swimming 2 time a day for fun. I’m around. 5 11 and 220 I have a lot of work to do

Take swimming lessons. Even good natural swimmers benefit from a few professional coaching sessions to develop solid technique.

A couple of years ago I was teaching a mixed group of 5 OW students. 3 were young gym fit lads and 2 were a slightly overweight middle-aged couple. When it came to the swim test, despite my warning to pace not race, the gym bunnies set off like a herd of scolded cats, thrashing about with zero technique. In the meantime the older married couple set off with beautiful effortless freestyle strokes, eating up the laps without even breaking a sweat. Needless to say they were finished and chilling out in the shallow end way before the lads eventually came chuffing and panting across the finishing line.

Trust me on the swimming lessons. It'll not only increase your fitness, but also help you to achieve the goals in your other thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom