Shearwater Peregrine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so what is the different from a petrel or newer computer ,,,,,other than the wireless charging and firmware that does not include tech mode?? I dont get it. It sounds like they are saying that the tech mode is a 4-500$ item in the computer.

New model is a "less extreme duty" case (not as deep of a depth rating) which is cheaper to manufacture. So the question is, do you need the depth rating?

Smaller for same screen. Prettier. Also cheaper.
Yes but basically it is the same as a perdix perhaps with charger but no AI, compass or tech mode. tech mode

ignoring the charger this is a petrel 1 with no tech mode in a new case

so what is the different from a petrel or newer computer ,,,,,other than the wireless charging and firmware that does not include tech mode?? I dont get it. It sounds like they are saying that the tech mode is a 4-500$ item in the computer.
Bill of materials is typically a small percentage of retail price. Most of the cost is divvying up the development costs and business overhead over the expected sales run. Development costs should have been relatively low since this mostly reuses their proven hardware and software. And they clearly expect to move a lot of these units since they are now serving a much larger market.

Yes but basically it is the same as a perdix perhaps with charger but no AI, compass or tech mode. tech mode

ignoring the charger this is a petrel 1 with no tech mode in a new case.
You are right it is just a new case, trimmed features and cheaper. But with the same gas loading information. Nothing to see here. Move along.:):):)

If you were buying your first dive comp and do not do deep tech, which would you want to strap to your wrist?
upload_2020-7-24_14-3-21.png

ignoring the charger this is a petrel 1 with no tech mode in a new case
Though I would like AI, I would be more generous in my description. The Peregrine has the same screen, is a little smaller, 1/3 thinner, 20% lighter, and 47% less expensive than a Perdix. Most divers only need air or a single nitrox mix, not even the 3 mixes available.

So, I will hold out for AI. In my opinion, the Peregrine is likely the best basic dive computer out there, head and shoulders above the competition. It would be my hands down recommendation to most divers who do not need AI or technical gases.

I have experience with Shearwater service, best I have ever had

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom