Today at Disney

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was there 18 months ago the only equipment allowed was mask and computer. Unless you had a medical reason requiring accomodation. I think in one of the other threads they allowed a pregnant woman to purchase a new wetsuit (tags still on) and bring it in the pool, so they are super serious about it.

Can you bring your dive computer and your own fins?

Why would you need a dive computer for an aquarium dive?

No issue with NDL limits at depths that will be at or less than 30' especially given that the dive is limited to about 45 minutes.

To my knowledge Disney is not supplying Nitrox on these aquarium dives (nor would there be any benefit unless you're one of those divers who believes that Nitrox results in less fatigue) and even if they did supply it, it's not likely that you'll hit your 02 limits during a 45 minute dive at depths at or less than 30'

Even if it's air integrated it's not like you're going to come anywhere close to emptying a tank during a 45 minute dive at those shallow depths and even if you did, an emergency ascent from depths shallower than 30' is typically within the abilities of the average diver. Also they supply you with a complete regulator set so you've got the SPG not that you're going to need to check it every few minutes if ever.

I guess if you have a tendency to ascend too rapidly you might want to have the benefit of the ascent alarm but that's just using gear to solve a skills issue.

Maybe the Epcot trip is in the midst of a week long dive trip and you're doing a lot of deep diving and that minute bit of additional Nitrogen exposure that is monitored and compensated for by the dive computer could make a difference between getting bent or not but that's a stretch.

Or your dive computer has a digital compass and you're concerned about not having the ability to navigate? I dived in the Epcot tank once and I don't recall that it was large enough to get lost in but hey you never know.

Or your dive computer doubles as your regular watch that you wear all day long and you're worried if you leave it behind someone will steal it and even if they don't you won't enjoy the dive because you'll still be worried that it won't be there when you get back to the locker room.

Perhaps you want to upload your aquarium dive into your digital logbook so you've got the detailed dive profile that will look pretty much like a flat bottomed bowl as you explore the bottom of the big fish tank, and at the same time you'll save yourself some data entry. That's about the only benefit I can possibly think of.

Some of us brought them just for fun, which is the purpose of the dive. Disney does discourage it, they were saying, "Why risk flooding your expensive dive computer." I told them I wasn't worried, it was my buddy's expensive dive computer. A piece of equipment I was surprised not to have was an alternate second stage. That felt weird.

When I was there 18 months ago the only equipment allowed was mask and computer. Unless you had a medical reason requiring accomodation. I think in one of the other threads they allowed a pregnant woman to purchase a new wetsuit (tags still on) and bring it in the pool, so they are super serious about it.
I'm surprised they let a pregnant woman dive. At the very least they'd be afraid of getting sued someday.

No. Only own mask (no snorkel), swimsuit, and watch/wrist worn dive computer.

Quick HIJACK-- WHY is Disney open now (I know this is a thread discussing pre-Covid)? Crap, the Canada-US border will never open.

Quick HIJACK-- WHY is Disney open now (I know this is a thread discussing pre-Covid)? Crap, the Canada-US border will never open.
Probably seemed like a better idea than going out of business and laying off 200,000 odd folks.

Some of us brought them just for fun, which is the purpose of the dive. Disney does discourage it, they were saying, "Why risk flooding your expensive dive computer." I told them I wasn't worried, it was my buddy's expensive dive computer. A piece of equipment I was surprised not to have was an alternate second stage. That felt weird.
Wow. I guess it is so much more likely to flood on a 30ft time limited 40 minute dive that it is at 100ft tank limited dive.

/sarcasm off

I certainly would wear mine - all my dives are logged electronically (and with subsurface I can attach video/photos to them) and I would love to be able to look back on it in years to come.

Back
Top Bottom