Hose routing for backmount doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quite detailed......

thank you, I'd never have guessed this orientation, nor would I have worked out using the 5th port for the backup reg.

How do the hoses continue around? Do they come under the arms and then wrap around the neck? And is the backup/short hose now truly a backup and only used in extremis?

And why only a single spg? What happens if that tank requires a shutdown and you're left breathing from the other?

The 5th port makes a huge difference in hose routing - how you route your hoses depends on your training and who you're diving with, primary donate with long hose is by far the most common. If you are diving wet, you can get rid of #2 and just use #4 only.

Like someone already said, single spg is all you need - during a failure, the dive is over, don't add stress by staring at a gauge.

The flex hose for the AI is another failure point but IMO well worth it - I run mine off the left post with a shorter hose than Marie's but I might try that zip tie, mine is in floppy mode. You want clean access to your valves in case of an emergency.

during a failure, the dive is over, don't add stress by staring at a gauge.

I agree it's over, but if I'd just had one tank fail I'd take comfort rather than stress knowing the other was ok, but maybe that's the wrong mindset.

I know the rule of thirds says it should be ok, but I'm human and my faith is sometimes not what it should be.

thank you, I'd never have guessed this orientation, nor would I have worked out using the 5th port for the backup reg.

How do the hoses continue around? Do they come under the arms and then wrap around the neck? And is the backup/short hose now truly a backup and only used in extremis?

And why only a single spg? What happens if that tank requires a shutdown and you're left breathing from the other?

The GUE pic is how I rout as well, although I don't dive dry so I don't have the additional inflator hose. The long hose goes under the right shoulder down to your can light or waistbelt, the short hose goes over the right shoulder, the SPG goes straight down to the left hip D ring, the inflator goes over the left shoulder. It's very self explanatory once you see it. Cross the inflator hose underneath the short regulator hose.

You only need one SPG. If you shut down the left post or isolate due to a leak, your dive is over so you don't really need a separate SPG on the right tank. Everyone who has practiced enough valve drills will eventually forget to re-open the isolator, which makes you think you're amazing on air for a while until you realize what's going on. I've done that fairly deep in a cave during a class....it's usually something you only do once.

I agree it's over, but if I'd just had one tank fail I'd take comfort rather than stress knowing the other was ok, but maybe that's the wrong mindset.

I know the rule of thirds says it should be ok, but I'm human and my faith is sometimes not what it should be.

Assuming you are not tech trained yet.......the SPG is a back up......a back up to your gas plan.
Prior to the dive you plan your gas usage, this includes a plan for failures. Your SPG just confirms what you already know.......at point A of the dive I will have X amount in my tanks.....unless there is a catastrophic gas failure......then you simply calculate the duration, location and type of failure. As you have planned for this, there is no (reduced?) stress as you’ve ensured there is sufficient gas to get you home.

This a big difference from recreational diving where most are trained to follow their computer and SPG during the dive and hopefully make it back safely.

20190402_090141.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom