Rob Stewart Investigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious, how are CCR students, who are new to CCR, establish that their factory certified instructor is "demonstrably untrustworthy"?
That's the million buck question, isn't it. You don't know what you don't know, until you finally know. Hopefully not the hard way.

A reasonable Google search of the name, once you get up to the higher echelons of "named" instructors, should hopefully give you some ideas. A search for Peter Sotis on Scuba Board would raise some eyebrows for sure.

Sadly, most students never know if their instructor is doing the right thing by them until long after when someone else spots the deficiencies and (hopefully) says something.

I believe the majority of CCR instructors are doing a pretty decent job, and aren't very likely to get you hurt on a course. If you want to make sure, a thread asking for comments and recommendations on the appropriate forum here should help. Any truly egregious issues find a way to surface here, diving is a much smaller world than most think.

Also, any reasonable instructor would have no problem giving you a way to get references from their last few students as well.

I generally do at least google my instructor before a class. In the case of Rob's instructor that stuff was widely publicized online. Before the Rob Stewart death, if you googled his name this stuff would have come right up. I don't personally know the guy, but somehow I've read those things about him. I didn't know Rob Stewart, either.. all I know is the basics: Rich guy hired shady instructor and died diving with that instructor.

And do you think that every CCR student should ask any and all of these questions when signing up for a CCR course??
I know I never checked up on my CCR instructor for any possible financial or criminal activities, just wondering did you? And I don't mean to be smart with that question.
That's the million buck question, isn't it. You don't know what you don't know, until you finally know. Hopefully not the hard way.

A reasonable Google search of the name, once you get up to the higher echelons of "named" instructors, should hopefully give you some ideas. A search for Peter Sotis on Scuba Board would raise some eyebrows for sure.

Sadly, most students never know if their instructor is doing the right thing by them until long after when someone else spots the deficiencies and (hopefully) says something.

I believe the majority of CCR instructors are doing a pretty decent job, and aren't very likely to get you hurt on a course. If you want to make sure, a thread asking for comments and recommendations on the appropriate forum here should help. Any truly egregious issues find a way to surface here, diving is a much smaller world than most think.

Also, any reasonable instructor would have no problem giving you a way to get references from their last few students as well.

Thank you for your responses. My point is that I believe what was already widely known and publicized regarding the Instructor should have precluded him or at least suspended him from instructing and any commercial activities due to questions over fitness to practice etc.
Where is the manufacturer and training agency in all of this?? The optics from this incident appears that quality control was always ever about unit sales. What an utter disgrace and I say shame on the training agency and manufacturer if this turns out to be the case.

exceeded any limit for any type of diving that he should have learned in Open Water class and did a trust-me dive with a man who was demonstrably untrustworthy. In other words, killed himself through misadventure.

FIFY
Forgive me, but the facts don't support that completely. First of all Stewart was way beyond open water certification. He had already completed two levels of re-breather training (intro and tech) and had finished a third level (trimix) but for his fourth open water dive. Secondly, there was nothing "trust-me" about the dive. The video evidence clearly shows the group running through the dive plan twice prior to even leaving the dock. They checked their computer numbers against their laptop software and discussed every stage of the dive. Ensured they had adequate gas and even discussed emergency bail out procedures. If there was a lack of planning, that began months earlier when Stewart and his dive buddy, set out to do a dangerous working dive without following the regulations. There are rules for working dives and Sharkwater Productions did not follow them.

Just curious, how are CCR students, who are new to CCR, establish that their factory certified instructor is "demonstrably untrustworthy"?
What is your definition of New to CCR students? He was taking Mod III, so he obviously had 50 hours under his belt, No? And if he didn't, and was being hurried through the courses, would that not demonstrate anything to you?

His instructor is a convicted felon. His instructor was well known in Florida for cutting corners, and had been dumped by a number of rebreather manufacturers for doing so. And this all happened when his instructor was being sued by any number of folks, and being investigated by the FBI for violation or export laws (OFAC), all of which was public knowledge. He was providing rebreathers and instruction at cost for publicity. Would you let such a man teach your son on a rebreather?

I have many friends who were/are employed by Add Helium, and I have shared dinner with Peter many times. I like him. I was offered classes by him many times. If I were a candidate to dive a rebreather, he would not be my instructor.

Forgive me, but the facts don't support that completely. First of all Stewart was way beyond open water certification. He had already completed two levels of re-breather training (intro and tech) and had finished a third level (trimix) but for his fourth open water dive. Secondly, there was nothing "trust-me" about the dive. The video evidence clearly shows the group running through the dive plan twice prior to even leaving the dock. They checked their computer numbers against their laptop software and discussed every stage of the dive. Ensured they had adequate gas and even discussed emergency bail out procedures. If there was a lack of planning, that began months earlier when Stewart and his dive buddy, set out to do a dangerous working dive without following the regulations. There are rules for working dives and Sharkwater Productions did not follow them.
The third dive was the very definition of a trust-me dive.

I assume you've watched the b-roll and heard Rob's comments during the dive briefing?

Given all the fascination with this topic, I'm sure you'll all be keen to read the book when it comes out. There is a lot in this book that's never been revealed before. A great deal of misinformation has surrounded this event.

The Third Dive - Rocky Mountain Books

The third dive was the very definition of a trust-me dive.

I assume you've watched the b-roll and heard Rob's comments during the dive briefing?
I have seen and have copies of all the footage shot on board the Pisces. I've also talked with or obtained copies of all of the interviews done with anyone on board. So I think, as much as anyone, I have an idea of what happened.

I have seen and have copies of all the footage shot on board the Pisces. I've also talked with or obtained copies of all of the interviews done with anyone on board. So I think, as much as anyone, I have an idea of what happened.
Well, then you know how poor the dive planning was, and how Rob felt about it.

You know what folks want you to know. I know what's in some of the evidence. I know personally and am friendly with most of the folks who are still around. I have spoken with many of them, and seen the equipment. Folks who wouldn't grant you an interview.

I'm not here to wave dicks with you. Your story is pretty good. But it isn't the whole story.

And personally, I am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that Rob had every opportunity to survive that third dive, and chose a different route. Not so that he would die, but there was always that possibility. Rob flew too close to the sun.

Osborne was involved with the Canadian documentary .....I think we all saw (and was discussed at length here on SB ) ,,,,enough said , wont be getting my money as much as id like to read a book about rob ,wookie is right some people have told me they wouldn't talk to him

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom