Simply Scuba in Administration (chapter 11)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's one Chicago area dive shop that was apparently in very dire straits, even before the current situation. Their shop furnace died over the winter and they didn't have the $$ to cover the cost. There was a fundraiser on FB for $7K for the shop to get a new furnace. They only got about $1600 in donations. I've never visited this shop myself.

That's a shame, I've always enjoyed the product reviews and the fun weekly videos.

I hope they will be able to bounce back

#flappysnaghazard

Can’t say it’s a change for the worse as they are now releasing some fantastic online content.
Like this: previously there wouldn’t be time to do things like this.
Sure I’d rather be visiting an actual store I’ll settle for this knowing the business will be there when COVID is more controlllable.

Adam makes some good content and is a great guy.

Seems like there’s almost nothing on the website now?

I’m lucky that I got our an order for the MK11/C370 before it was gone. Including shipping to Japan, cost me 360 dollars!

In reading Simply Scuba's Companies House filings I was struck by the number of employees they had listed. I feel empathy for all of the employees who will be facing employment uncertainty in the middle of this pandemic crisis.

Where did u find the filings?

Google companies house. This is where all U.K. company documents end up. Usually though reporting is a bit after the fact, especially so if a company is in difficulties and misses the deadlines. There is a search tool (you want the beta one) that lets you explore companies and the people involved. For example you can see if a director of similar sounding companies at the same address are the same people, or live at the same address.

Google companies house. This is where all U.K. company documents end up. Usually though reporting is a bit after the fact, especially so if a company is in difficulties and misses the deadlines. There is a search tool (you want the beta one) that lets you explore companies and the people involved. For example you can see if a director of similar sounding companies at the same address are the same people, or live at the same address.

I did. Most recent entry is Nov last year. Not yet filed perhaps?

This is what comes up...
ss.JPG

The one of interest is the 10th June “Total Exception Full Accounts”, but that only covers the period up until August 2018. Maybe there will be another, maybe not.

It is really hard to suffer consequences for not keeping up with paperwork here. It might be deliberate so as to keep the iffy money from around the world coming...

A link was posted earlier in this thread by Joneill.

Note 3 to the 2018 Financial Statements says the average number of employees that year was 48 (2017 was 53). Rather high for a dive shop ?

As a private company SS would be exempt from filing full company accounts. Effectively they only disclose their Balance Sheet and Notes. No income statement or cash flow statement is filed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom