Test your cutting devices especially EMT shears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
I just went to check mine re someones recent post and found my trilobite's sheath so shrunken that I had to use both hands to wrestle it out. Hardly ideal, but the blade cut both line and paper so I sprayed the blade and sheath with PB Blaster and its now good (maybe in water it would have been looser?)

Then, I tested the sheers (which I had tightened maybe a year ago by bopping the rivet with a hammer) and they cut paper fine ,but, when I tried to cut line (which I aImost skipped) NO DICE. which would have really sucked had I been entangled. Sooo, I'm suggesting that I (especially) and possibly some others MIGHT want to be more diligent in maintaining cutting devices.

(several times I've gotten slightly entangled In invisible but taught line, and was able to stop, chill, and back out.
Twice I had to, stop, chill and actually cut my way out.)

So...I'm suggesting that I, at least, need to be more diligent re cutting devices as I am almost always solo diving.
(please don't yell at me)

Was the issue a corroded edge or mechanical in the the hinge had slack even though it was tightened? I like my shears, just looking for clarification on what you found.

Was the issue a corroded edge or mechanical in the the hinge had slack even though it was tightened? I like my shears, just looking for clarification on what you found.

EMT shears are designed for single-use followed by disposal.They aren't meant to last or stay sharp, ie single-use followed by disposal. I had tightened the "hinge" a while a ago and they were tighter than original and cut line and paper easily. Today, they were still tight but absolutely would NOT cut line. Again, they're not built to last and eventually lose their edge, used or not. I knew that but became complacent AND I have become complacent before. Today was the same eye-opener I have had before (I know, not sane). If by shears you mean EMT sheers, They don't last too long in water. They're not meant to.
I went through a box of 100, simply replacing as necessary, and became complacent (the route of a lot of ****-ups). I'm ordering another box.

What material is used in your blades. I've encountered Aluminum (Aluminium), Stainless Steel, and Titanium. I have some of each. The Aluminum doesn't hold a edge as well, but doesn't corrode. It will still cut a copper penny (U.S.) - once. Demonstrate with a throwaway pair. The titanium needs to be rinsed and dried with blades open after diving and will hold a decent edge for a while. Stainless steel is probably my favorite pair. It will corrode if not thoroughly rinsed properly.

My line cutter has ceramic blades. Cuts small line well.

Cheers,

Where do you order them from please?

Medical supply stores. The bigger the box, the cheaper they are. They come individually sealed in clear plastic.

I keep a small titanium knife in my bc pocket. Checked it before I went to the keys last month. Might as well be a butter knife - and I'm not sure how to sharpen it. Cutlery place in town said it would ruin his wheel?????????

I keep a small titanium knife in my bc pocket. Checked it before I went to the keys last month. Might as well be a butter knife - and I'm not sure how to sharpen it. Cutlery place in town said it would ruin his wheel?????????

Diamond style knife sharpener, titium is pain but can be done. The regular stones also work but are a real PITA.

Stainless steel is probably my favorite pair. It will corrode if not thoroughly rinsed properly.

The rivet rusted away on mine despite thorough rinsing. When I needed them, the blades were still shiny and cut like new, but only if you could hold them together.

Titanium is great in that it doesn't corrode in saltwater but it's a horrible material for keeping an edge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom