Gordo Banks in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kmp123

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello!

I'm heading to Los Cabos April 1-9 this year and am hoping to see hammerheads. I've read that the best time is July-November. Does anybody know if there's ANY chance of seeing them in April?

Any other recommendations for April?

Thanks for any help!
Kaitlyn

I did 2 dives there during the month of December and we saw nothing. But nothing. I think it is a total hit and miss place - probably not your best bet if you really wanna see hammers.

I was in Cabo San Lucas last May, could not get out of the marine park to the Corridor or to Gordo Banks due to sea conditions

All the replies above are on the money. Even if you see them at Gordo Banks, which I did at around 125 ft this past November (15 to 20, at a distance that was not shootable, and for all of maybe 10 seconds), it is probably not the iconic hammerhead wallpaper image that you may envision. In other words, it is not likely to be in the numbers that will fill your field of view. But then again, it is the sea, and anything is possible.

Socorros, as suggested by Sharkie Guy, is a better bet. I hear that the dive site called El Cañón in the island of San Benedicto has been very good this year for HHs and other stuff. And I just received an email from Pelagic Life - owner of the Solmar V and Vortex liveaboards - announcing that they are discounting all their April thru June trips by 50%.

If you are locked to being on land and only those dates, then the only other place to try for HHs is out of La Paz at a dive site called El Bajo. I didn't see any there this past November tho - some people saw 1 or 2 - and the same caveat as with Gordo Banks applies: not likely to be in large numbers, if at all, nor close enough or long enough to shoot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom