Compensation for Scuba Classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeB_71

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is it common practice for instructors to work solely for discounts? A scuba shop I know of does not pay instructors a wage but gives them a discount on equipment. I am not sure how I feel about this as a new instructor. Is this a common practice in the industry?

Ha, I doubt it.

It varies dramatically. A local dive shop chain for open water pays instructors $25 to get students through academics and the pool sessions. If the student gets certified, then another $25. This leads to packing students to max ratios and the checking of boxes.

When you calculate the amount of time instructors put in, my guess is that within the United States, most are working for less than minimum wage. I'm not going to even include cost of insurance and maintaining equipment.

Many instructors work basically for free.

No, discounts on scuba equipment are IN ADDITION to payments per student or per class NOT in lieu of payments!!! The instructor may choose to use his pay to buy equipment, at a discount, or to take the payment in cash.

In my dive center, I have a pay rate sheet for instructors and I have a discount schedule for equipment, discount varies depending on several factors, for instructors and dive center staff.

Some shops pay per student (most not so much and a couple decently), some offer discounts instead of payment for classes, some pay the instructors a salary/hourly if they are full time employees of the store, and others "vary dramatically" as wet4... stated above.

I got discounts at my dive shop back in the day (way before the interwebs was invented by Al Gore lol) because I was friends with the folks that worked there.. Being a DM had nothing to do with it.

NOT ON YOUR LIFE ....not sure which store you are referring to but as a professional instructor you get paid , working for discounts is a slimy way of doing business I don't know of a gta store that would try that , pay be I know of a store that might hire you as im asked for them all the time pm me

The shop that I did my OW training in did not pay instructors except in store credit. That led to the instructors getting a lot of nice, new equipment regularly and since it was a PADI shop, many of the instructors from that shop now use that equipment to instruct independently (the shop closed when the owners retired 5 years ago). The shop that I DM at does not pay DMs for assisting with certification courses if we are planning to become instructors, but we do get paid (barely) for teaching snorkeling classes. I recently learned that DMs can teach ecology classes, but I haven't asked how the pay for that is to decide if I want to pursue it along the way to OW Instructor. Instructors get paid $45 or $50 per student for classroom and pool and not much more than gas money for doing checkout dives, but there was some talk late last year about making some changes to that because doing OW checkouts is a lot of work. One of our instructors lives part time in Florida where he said he gets $150 per OW student.

All professionals in good standing with the shop get their insurance covered and professional fees repaid each year, as well as SSI React Right course every two years to maintain CPR, First Aid, and O2 certification. We also get "key man" pricing on any equipment sold in the shop, which can be a pretty significant discount.

Store credit and at retail prices is very old school. I'm worth more than that. It used to be that instructors got a stipend for the gear they sold during class, but gear is not quite the profit center for the LDS anymore. So classes have become more important and can't be sold simply as a loss leader. Rather than raising prices, they simply pay instructors less.

I have seen both. My shop pays DM’s and instructors + discounts and lends gear needed for classes. Most use their gear by preference. I did come across one shop who paid instructors a similar rate but in store credits that had to be used on full priced items. That did not seem like a deal to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom