BPW Recommendation needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hence gather the info, ask opinions, but its you're money and ultimately your choice, and your choice will be optimised to your needs not mine (and vis versa)

Hence the initial description. Basically I am trying to gather which good quality options are available, that fit that criteria. I would understand your point, if my initial post was "which BPW should I buy?"

I am pretty sure that I read somewhere in this forum that not every wing is compatible with every backplate/harness... (plus the price factor).

Get wing and plate from one mfg. Harness from whoever and cam bands from someone else.

if you're not in a rush I should be able to give a feedback on the dtd soon. I initiated the order tonight

Hence the initial description. Basically I am trying to gather which good quality options are available, that fit that criteria. I would understand your point, if my initial post was "which BPW should I buy?

I'm done here. I've tried to be helpful

You have the GUE standards, some recommended manufacturers. If you can't figure out what you need from the standards and the web page - then it was a poor course

I'm done here. I've tried to be helpful

You have the GUE standards, some recommended manufacturers. If you can't figure out what you need from the standards and the web page - then it was a poor course

I thought that I had already mentioned what I was looking for and that I am gathering opinions on the manufacturers (quality vs price)...

At no point I asked for anyone to recommend which features should I look for, so I fail to see your point regarding fundies...

I am pretty sure that I read somewhere in this forum that not every wing is compatible with every backplate/harness... (plus the price factor).

I think basically if the camband slots are long you should be safe. See how long the slots are on these: Scuba Diving Donut Wing Single Tank 30lbs Free Dive BCD Buoyancy Compensator | eBay

This one: https://www.hollis.com/media/catalo...6e5fb8d27136e95/h/t/ht_wing_s38_front_web.jpg does not fit all plates without cutting the slots (from 1st hand experience).

Also if you plan on using an STA you're safe.

It is, my VAT comment was to "divegearexpress", but any specific reason to consider them over DTD?

live never heard of DTD, but a backplate and harness is not rocket surgery.

[QUOTE="David Novo, post: 8884956, member: 487575“]
P.S.: On top of that it needs to go back and forth to the USA, if a repair is needed.[/QUOTE]

ummm.. what would you be sending back for repair? Not much to go wrong with a plate, webbing and D rings. If you have a problem with your wing, I doubt you will be sending it anywhere. Inflator is just a cheap replacement. And if you have a defective bladder, most should be able to validate with a photo and send you a new one.

I would be more concerned about buying from a company that will still be around In 5-10 years and might actually have a replacement bladder at that point. You are much more likely to get a leak in your wing from use/abuse after a few years, than some defect that might be covered by a warranty.

I think Marie13 can confirm that Dive Rite can help customers with replacement bladders even for older wings.

If I were in Europe I would absolutely consider DTD since it will be much cheaper than an American brand like Halcyon.

I imported a DTD backplate from Gidive Store out of curiosity. It has extra slots to attach weight pockets directly to it for single tank diving, which was an interesting feature. Build quality is okay, not quite as shiny as Halcyon but no sharp edges or issues. For what it's worth I'm pretty sure Subgravity resells some of DTD's products in the US under their brand, at the very least they share the same OEM.

Did you have compatibility issues between DTD backplate and wings from different manufacturers?

Back
Top Bottom