Zeagle Octo Z and dump valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I’m in a situation where I am using the Octo Z (my primary malfunctions or buddy needs my primary), doesn’t that generally mean that I’m trying to go up, not down? In which case I would not need the dump valve, but rather the inflator?

Why? You can still pull on it while keeping the mouthpiece in your mouth.

I'm pretty sure Escape has a back dump valve (I have one at home as backup although I dive Stiletto), but those are not very useful when you are vertical and have to dump air quickly.

Actually, it only has the hose dump. There is no second shoulder dump. There is one at the bottom of the bladder, however. Less useful if one is upright.

Actually, it only has the hose dump. There is no second shoulder dump. There is one at the bottom of the bladder, however. Less useful if one is upright.

Yes, that’s right. The one on your back (at the bottom) won’t be useful when you are vertical.

Here is the picture of the adapter you’ll have to install, it’s actually from my escape. As you can see, there is a pin that the chain inside the hose is attached to. To deflate your BC once vertical you’ll have an option of pulling on the Octo Z, or raising it above your shoulder and deflating via button. For both, you’ll have to remove mouthpiece from your mouth.

This adapter works with both Octo Z and Zeagle BX inflator (the one you can screw on the adapter), but not the regular Zeagle inflator.

Attachments

• 102D594F-6830-48A3-877D-7FEDB1AE47B9.jpeg
    102D594F-6830-48A3-877D-7FEDB1AE47B9.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 63
If I’m in a situation where I am using the Octo Z (my primary malfunctions or buddy needs my primary), doesn’t that generally mean that I’m trying to go up, not down? In which case I would not need the dump valve, but rather the inflator?
If you are neutrally buoyant with some air in your BCD, you will be venting it a bit at a time as you ascend in order to control your ascent. If you fail to vent some air, or worse yet add some air, you will ascend too fast, followed by faster.

At the risk of offending, I have to ask: Are you a certified diver that actually learned to add air on ascent??

If you are neutrally buoyant with some air in your BCD, you will be venting it a bit at a time as you ascend in order to control your ascent. If you fail to vent some air, or worse yet add some air, you will ascend too fast, followed by faster.

At the risk of offending, I have to ask: Are you a certified diver that actually learned to add air on ascent??

lol. No offense taken. I’m a bit rusty but remember the basics. Fortunately, I’ve never been in a real emergency situation (till today, but I’ll put that in another post). So a lot of this is just hypothetical. Until it isn’t. the advice and experience people offer here is good and much appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom