Need for neoprene coat in French Polynesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deaf diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
For those of you who have been to FP would you recommend bringing a neoprene coat for post dive and surface intervals. Just don't want to luv it with if it's not needed. I'm leaving in a few days

I was in FP last July... Not as warm as I thought it would be, but I didn't see the need for a neoprene coat post diving, unless you are "always" cold. What are the temps for the coming weeks? I believe Dec should be hot and humid...?

Having only been to FP twice, I am certainly not an authority, but have never seen anyone in a boat coat for post dive/SI. Have fun. You are going to a beautiful part of the world.

With air temps in the 80s (December is the start of summer there), I have never needed one. Unless you are going to South Fakarava or to Toau Atoll from North Fakarava, boat rides are about 20 minutes at worst.

Boat rides are quick and there's no cover, so you'll be baking in the sun during surface intervals. Coming from SF, I found the water quite warm, even after multiple dives. The local guides, however, had full wetsuits and sometimes even neoprene jackets and hoods for the dives. They got cold. I suspect you, from MN, will be less cold than me! I was there in July, their winter too.

I an in Fakarava right now and just spent 3 days in Rangiroa so if you're coming this way I would recommend it. They are not joking about it being rainy season. It has been raining heavily nonstop since I arrived to FP last Saturday and the forecast shows no improvements for the next week (can you tell how incredibly bummed I am?). In Rangi I dove with 6 passengers and the boat rides to Tiputa were 5 minutes so no need for gear there. They go back to the shop after each dive. If you head up to Avatoru it is a 15 minute ride and inwas shivering the while time so might be recommended there. We had to head up to Ava because the currents and conditions were gnarly AF. On Tiputa we hit some very gnarly washing machine currents and pretty much no one was happy. In Faka at Dive Spirit they said its 15 to 20 mins out to the site on Garuae and they stay out there for surface interval if you do the 2 tank dives in the am. So defo need some gear. Its freezing right now. Wind has calmed down but it was very powerful and destructive the last few days. For a day trip down to Tetamanu in the south you'd also be comfier with a jacket. It's at least 1.5 hours each way. So for now, the Tuamotos are neither hot nor dry nor particularly comfy. My dive shop has inexplicably cancelled dives for the day (the lagoon is flat) so I'm not a very happy camper. Hopefully you have better luck!

It's not FP, but spent two weeks in Palau back in mid October and was shivering on most boat rides due to the wind and the rain. I bought a neoprene coat for after dives for next time. Never thought I would need one until that trip.

I was in FP in September this year and it rained the day we left South Fakarava for the airport up north. Some people were feeling the wind but I was nice and warm in my Sharkskin hooded jacket, which I love. The jacket is great on long plane rides as well. I don't jump on a plane without mine, even when I am on a non-dive trip.

I was in FP in September this year and it rained the day we left South Fakarava for the airport up north. Some people were feeling the wind but I was nice and warm in my Sharkskin hooded jacket, which I love. The jacket is great on long plane rides as well. I don't jump on a plane without mine, even when I am on a non-dive trip.

How long does it take to dry? I'm thinking about your return trip on the plane after having been diving.

Back
Top Bottom