DIR- Generic Advice for new to DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Kevin,
If you’re up for a trip down to Mexico (Tulum), I have some availability for a doubles primer and fundies mid-end of March. I’ve got a few students in queue wanting to book in that timeframe, so pretty easy to find teammates and set up a class for you.

Direct flights from Houston to Cancun, and no need to rent a car if you stay in Tulum, so it makes for a pretty easy trip. Let me know if you’re interested or have any questions about GUE training in general, I’m happy to be a resource for you any way I can :)

Thanks, that might work depending on the exact dates. I just booked a camping weekend with my biz partner and our families 3/13-3/17.

I also just reached out to Jason Wright (as per the suggestion).

I don’t know if I’m ready for fundies, or if I should just book some private training with a GUE instructor and take a dry suit primer to get ready for a fundies rec pass before I try to take on doubles. At this point I think I’m going to at least get my own dry suit and then spend a few weekend in the quarry just diving the dry suit to get comfortable in it.

Thanks, that might work depending on the exact dates. I just booked a camping weekend with my biz partner and our families 3/13-3/17.

I also just reached out to Jason Wright (as per the suggestion).

I don’t know if I’m ready for fundies, or if I should just book some private training with a GUE instructor and take a dry suit primer to get ready for a fundies rec pass before I try to take on doubles. At this point I think I’m going to at least get my own dry suit and then spend a few weekend in the quarry just diving the dry suit to get comfortable in it.

Cool, Jason is awesome, he’ll be a great resource.

As for “being ready” for fundies...nobody ever is. That’s what the course is for, “getting you ready” for whatever. It’s about making you a better diver, the sooner you start that process the better. :)

Let me know if there’s anything I can do for ya!

@Kevin Floyd

Not sure what you ended up deciding on a drysuit, but I've got about a hundred dives on my Fourth Element Argonaut (the "plain" one) and have had no issues other than needing to replace the neck seal after a year which seems pretty normal from what I hear.

Of the three suits ordered through my LDS at about the same time the only leak issue was one with the heavier boots where the seams in the boots between the neoprene and the molded rubber sections weren't sealed well. They replaced them at no cost, FYI.

All of that said, I believe that what @CAPTAIN SINBAD said about a lot of them being made in the same factory is correct, and if you can get a good deal on the Deep6 there are plenty of other things to spend that $1k on...

Mark

@Kevin Floyd

Not sure what you ended up deciding on a drysuit, but I've got about a hundred dives on my Fourth Element Argonaut (the "plain" one) and have had no issues other than needing to replace the neck seal after a year which seems pretty normal from what I hear.

Of the three suits ordered through my LDS at about the same time the only leak issue was one with the heavier boots where the seams in the boots between the neoprene and the molded rubber sections weren't sealed well. They replaced them at no cost, FYI.

All of that said, I believe that what @CAPTAIN SINBAD said about a lot of them being made in the same factory is correct, and if you can get a good deal on the Deep6 there are plenty of other things to spend that $1k on...

Mark

Thanks Mark,

yeah I don’t think you can beat that price in the deep 6 suit. I was also impressed with how fast SI Tech was this responding to my questions.

For what it’s worth SI Tech said they developed the ORust neck ring to work on lighter weight suits and the factory making the Deep 6 suit said they had had problems with the more flexible ring staying glued. Overall very impressed with how responsive all involved have been on my dry suit search.

There are a lot of good suits out there. I think getting accurately fitted is significantly more important than the brand or model. It doesn’t matter how wonderful it looks or how great the price is if you can’t actually reach your valves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom