DIR- Generic Advice for new to DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huh. First I hear of Fundies tech pass in 50s. Or instructors using them. That is encouraging as I've little interest in fighting top heavy doubles. Pages 2-3 of this thread suggested against that. Doubles setup recommendation.

LP50s make sense for the basic skills, and team stuff. Requiring a size as 'gateway to further classes' would not seem to make sense if it still allowed say twin AL80s, as they are light and balance should be much easier. Requiring mastering rather negative doubles would make sense for 'gateway' to huge tanks, but no one has quite expressed it that way.

Here's GUE Instructor Bob Sherwood wearing his double 50's while teaching Tech 1:
FB_IMG_1576468429585.jpg

Here's GUE Instructor Heison Chak wearing his double 50's:
FB_IMG_1576468687788.jpg

They regularly use their double 50's while teaching and sing the praises of double 50's for how well they trim out and how easy they are to carry. They routinely recommend double 50's for me or anyone who has a very low SAC. I know lots of GUE Tech 2/Cave 2 divers who use them with stages. They also suggest an extra AL 80 with a transfer fill whip on the boat/shore for transferring gas between dives if necessary.

Personally, I think they're fine as long as you're using stages, otherwise they're not that conducive to regular length second dives while maintaining minimum gas.

If you think Fundies is just about buoyancy and trim, you're going to miss the most important part of the course. It's about teamwork.
Yes, that is true. But it’s hard to focus on the team when every time you focus on them you start to drift. You can’t even be a reference until you get a certain amount of control.

But its an important point. You won’t get a tech pass no matter how good your skills are if you act like a self-absorbed jerk who only care about his performance. The instructor will talk about how you can help your teammates. It is important.

Yes, that is true. But it’s hard to focus on the team when every time you focus on them you start to drift. You can’t even be a reference until you get a certain amount of control.

But its an important point. You won’t get a tech pass no matter how good your skills are if you act like a self-absorbed jerk who only care about his performance. The instructor will talk about how you can help your teammates. It is important.

That’s something else that’s really attracted me to GUE, the focus on team. Now I say all this never have met a GUE cert diver in LR but it seems like the ability to get into the water with divers you have never met but share the same level of training with and have a great fun safe dive is one of the huge benefits to GUE.

Do you have a Fundies Instructor in mind? Try messaging @guruboy here on SCUBABoard as he was previously from Texas. I think he might have been from the Houston area as well. Perhaps he can put you in touch with a Instructor or some other GUE divers to help you get situated and train with in the future.

My fundies course on 18 Jan with Mer has spots available! Just sayin!

yeah, I talked to her about that. I’m booked in Jan. I don’t think her schedule and mine are going to match up in 2020. I have 2 large projects opening Q2 and Q3 so I can really only take a class March, July or maybe Nov/Dec

FWIW my Argonaut (Flex) has been holding up well except for the stupid Sitech pee valve whose balance valve I've now sealed.

As I only own one drysuit I'd rather go for something pedestrian (i.e. the Flex) rather than the high-tech materials that the Kevlar and Stealth are made of.

yeah, I talked to her about that. I’m booked in Jan. I don’t think her schedule and mine are going to match up in 2020. I have 2 large projects opening Q2 and Q3 so I can really only take a class March, July or maybe Nov/Dec

Hi Kevin,
If you’re up for a trip down to Mexico (Tulum), I have some availability for a doubles primer and fundies mid-end of March. I’ve got a few students in queue wanting to book in that timeframe, so pretty easy to find teammates and set up a class for you.

Direct flights from Houston to Cancun, and no need to rent a car if you stay in Tulum, so it makes for a pretty easy trip. Let me know if you’re interested or have any questions about GUE training in general, I’m happy to be a resource for you any way I can :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom