Yong Heng compressor + breathing air filtering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would get to dive less than half as often if I didn't have my own fill station. Taking tanks to the shop 75 minutes away and then waiting or a return trip later means one dive day per week at best but often less. I am skeptical about the quality of the air so trusting the air and that my tanks and valves are staying O2 clean is another factor. Cost is also a factor but less so. It is nice to bank nitrox and never be stuck diving air. Doing my own inspections and and cleans saves more travel time and money. Each cubic foot of EAN32 costs:
O2 1.7 cents
electricity .15 cents
filters .41 cents
maintenance .41 cents
total per cu ft 2.67 cents
Average top up is 67 cu ft
Average fill cost is $1.79 for 32% nitrox
Cost does not include capital cost of equipment or certain things like hydros or cost of hauling O2 cylinders.

The savings for boosting deco cylinders and blending the right mix for the planned depth and making trimix is much greater.

This is a rix compressor and LF filter tower and HI booster so the cost of fills is less than with a 2,700$ compressor with it's small filter that costs more per fill to maintain. Your numbers will vary but the cost of fills is really a small factor when compared to the empowerment to dive what and when I want. Swapping out a large O2 cylinder is way easier than hauling lots of tanks to a dive shop and watching them disappear behind a closed door not to mention having to remove all my sidemount regulators from my tanks and replacing them later.

I would never consider a cheap ebay compressor that was not designed to provide safe breathing air for long term use. I wouldn't take one breath from the compressor linked in the original post.

I would get to dive less than half as often if I didn't have my own fill station. Taking tanks to the shop 75 minutes away and then waiting or a return trip later means one dive day per week at best but often less. I am skeptical about the quality of the air so trusting the air and that my tanks and valves are staying O2 clean is another factor. Cost is also a factor but less so. It is nice to bank nitrox and never be stuck diving air. Doing my own inspections and and cleans saves more travel time and money. Each cubic foot of EAN32 costs:
O2 1.7 cents
electricity .15 cents
filters .41 cents
maintenance .41 cents
total per cu ft 2.67 cents
Average top up is 67 cu ft
Average fill cost is $1.79 for 32% nitrox
Cost does not include capital cost of equipment or certain things like hydros or cost of hauling O2 cylinders.

The savings for boosting deco cylinders and blending the right mix for the planned depth and making trimix is much greater.

This is a rix compressor and LF filter tower and HI booster so the cost of fills is less than with a 2,700$ compressor with it's small filter that costs more per fill to maintain. Your numbers will vary but the cost of fills is really a small factor when compared to the empowerment to dive what and when I want. Swapping out a large O2 cylinder is way easier than hauling lots of tanks to a dive shop and watching them disappear behind a closed door not to mention having to remove all my sidemount regulators from my tanks and replacing them later.

I would never consider a cheap ebay compressor that was not designed to provide safe breathing air for long term use. I wouldn't take one breath from the compressor linked in the original post.
Thank you for all this very good information, including the numbers. That is very useful to me.
I also share the issue of the dive shop not being right next door, but I do have pretty good trust about the quality of their equipment. I have been allowed to inspect the rig from stem to stern & they fill my tanks right in front of me. I only know of one potentially bad fill from them out of probably more than 5,000 fills they have done for people I know.

The ebay compressor is more if a curiosity to me, rather than something that I expect I would go with. I'm the kind of guy that constantly finds ways to do more with less & still hold a high standard, so that little Chinese pump is sort of a natural challenge for me to want to look at & try to understand it's maximum performance envelope. If it was just me, in a boat out in the middle of the Pacific, looking to fill 2 tanks a week off of power from a house bank, then the little Chinese pump might seem like a more necessary option. Fortunately, I'm not there. I'm land based, so real equipment is a realistic option.

i'd rather run an old cornelius and deal with slightly short fills if i was stuck on a boat out in the pacific.

i'd rather run an old cornelius and deal with slightly short fills if i was stuck on a boat out in the pacific.
I was not previously aware of the Cornelious compressor. Thanks for tipping me off to their existence.

Was searching around for hookah setup after people shouted that you shouldnt use the yong heng for diving (sadly live very remote in province so refilling at store or similar aint an option) then i noted a company made a scuba kit with just this setup only with their logo instead

MiniDive

The setup is basically
small waterpump (for cooling) and a bucket of water
yong heng
a filter
and a tank and regulator

(apparently a 1.1L tank fills up in 7 min and gives you about 10m swimming time at 5m depth)

how unsafe is this compressor and do anyone know how long it would take to fill a 80CF tank as example?

About three hours. This system is a $200-300 Young Heng with a mini tank and regulator all in a very expensive bag. $1000 is a big way to a real compressor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom