NON-rechargeable battery light options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Dive Rite BX1s came with a 3x AAA pack, and a sleeve to run an 18650. They have moved on to the BX2 model now, and I am unsure if it has the same option.

I don't know about the OP but I do. NiMH has an excellent track record, safety wise. Li-ion does not.

There are a number of AA-powered dive lights on the market, but few of them seem to be of high quality. I have some AAA-powered ones from Mako that are OK.

Thanks!

Also added another comnpact light which operates on a single AA disposable battery. We recommend the 1450 battery as an upgrade option because it is considerably brighter, but being able to switch out batteries does have some advantages.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Mini-630-Lumen-Dive-Light-p/mm630dl.htm

mini-630-dive-light-14500-battery-charger.jpg

Nothing wrong with rechargeables. In fact, I think they're better than non-rechargable batteries.

You can get good NiMH rechargeable batteries and smart chargers. The NiMH batteries have no travel restrictions.

Furthermore, with a good smart charger you know exactly that status of all of your batteries. You know which ones are still really good, and which ones are losing their charge. There is no guessing. You get a digital readout of each battery's voltage and amps, and you can see how well the battery is charging and discharging. When a battery starts getting tired, it gets tossed into a kid's toy.

How many times have I bought brand-new disposable batteries, only to find that they are dead out of the package? Enough times to make me wary of disposable batteries when I need reliable light.

^^^^^
OOOOOPS! Forgot about that. I threw a fit when they confiscated about 20 Enloop AA NIMH batteries.

I have two Halcyon Scouts that take 3 C batteries. They really aren’t much bigger than my DGX 600 light, don’t even notice them if clipped off on my harness. I’m sure the 2C is even more manageable.

I like these OrcaTorch D560 A Mini Diving Dive Light with only 9 cm Length which takes a single AA and lasts about 90 minutes, and OrcaTorch D520 Palm-sized Dive Light with a Mechanically Rotary Switch which takes 18650s and is very bright. Maybe you could just take enough 18650s to have one per day.

I mostly use a big canister torch and use these as a backup or to lend out. I also have a Hollis LED6 which is one of your fish bashers and suffers from being a bit flickery and is a disappointment. I had another of those I found next to a battleship and was actually better than the one I paid for until it eventually died.

You can feel a recoil when you turn three of them on

full.jpg

I try and set them so finely so pressure activates them

Primary and two backups and no rubbish stinkin cord

Has anyone tried using 2xCR123 rather than the 18650 in the DGX 600?

Back
Top Bottom